The Island | Teen Ink

The Island

October 1, 2017
By Aden_Mondragon BRONZE, Trinidad, Texas
Aden_Mondragon BRONZE, Trinidad, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments


         I was silently sitting on my flight to Germany for work.This was my fourth time there but this time I was going there for two years.As I got up to go use the restroom and felt a little turbulance. At first I thought it was nothing but then it started happening more frequently. I asked one of the flight attendants if it was normal.

She went to the cockpit and the pilot was on the floor. The flight attendant was freaking out, and trying to wake him up. I started to head back to my seat processing what just happened. I sat down and the plane just kept flying for about an hour and then the plane jarred and water started coming in through the sides.


Me and two other people survived the crash. We got on a life raft and sailed north for shore. We floated to an island that looked pretty deserted. Our first thought was to check for any other survivors and things we could find that floated up to shore. We found three passengers that were not alive with most likely more to come. Although there were many suitcases washed up, most everything we found was drenched. we did manage to find some water bottles and some unopened junk food and candy. After walking the shore for about three hours looking for supplies.


The sun was starting to go down. We decided to start a fire, luckily one of the passengers that survived with me was a smoker and had a lighter. We got the fire started and went to sleep for the night. In the morning our first priority was to get an S.O.S signal setup. After doing that we decided to go deeper in the woods and explore for a better place to stay, if this turns into a long term survival situation. As we went deeper in the woods it got creepier because we were seeing signs of primitive life like carvings in trees, old fire pits, and very primitive huts. After about an hour of searching the woods we saw huts and people dressed in little to nothing. Just as we began to see them, they saw us. Soon after they picked up their spears and bows we realized that they were not as friendly as we had hoped. They began running but we were two slow. As I was running I heard both the other survivors get hit and hit the ground with a thud! I was running as fast as I could but that wasn’t fast enough I heard a helicopter on the shore. I was still about 100yds from the shore, but I wasn’t going to give up that easily. I could see the sand!!! As soon as I hit the sand I could see the helicopter, but just as I could see the helicopter,  I could hear one of the islanders let out a scream and then THUD!!!!


            When I awoke I was in a cage made of bamboo and hanging in a tree about 50ft in the air. There were several native islanders around a fire talking in what sounded like jibberish. I must have been out at least 10 hours because the sun was now setting. I had a huge gash on the back of my head and dried blood that had ran down my back and soaked into my shirt. I started trying to break the cage, but it was pointless even if i did escape the natives would just catch me again or worse.


          After deciding to wait and see what happens I started to wonder if the rescuers even saw me. If they didn’t then they might stop the search, and I might be stuck here longer than i thought. What if im stuck here forever what if i never get to see my family again what if, wait there coming. Then the cage started to move. They were pulling me down. They all had spears or weapons of some kind That they had pointing strait for the cage. When the cage hit the ground they started pulling me out. They took me to a hole about 7ft deep. They started filling the hole back up while i was screaming and pleading for them to stop. They got the dirt up to my waist so I couldn’t move. They left me there until sunset.


When they came back a little after sunrise they took me out and gave me a tiny bit of bread and i little water. Then they started to strip me of my clothes when they could hear the helicopter come back and they fled. I had no idea what to do and so i ran out of the campsite deeper in the woods.


I had no clue what i was going to do and had no idea if i was going deeper in the woods or closer to the shore. I kept going but the farther i went the more and more insects were swarming me and any of my exposed skin was completely red and bleeding with bites. I started to go into a panic and started to hallucinate. I started seeing the people that were on the plane with me hanging in the trees and the natives swarming the bodies. As i got more and more panicked i blacked out. When i woke up I was still in the woods but i could hear running water so i got up and headed to the sound. It was a river with crystal clear water. I used this opportunity to take a drink and get cleaned up.


Afterwards I decided to follow the river. I didn’t know if it would be a good idea to go up river or down river but i chose to go with my gut and go up. Shortly after walking upstream I saw some fruit in a tree and decided to eat some and then I kept walking.Later towards sunset I found a pretty good place to sleep for the night. Sadly i did not have the lighter and could not start a fire. I laid down some leaves for a more comfortable bed. Halfway through the night I woke up vomiting and light headed it had to have been the fruit. I couldn’t sleep the rest of the night and barely got any sleep.

End of Chapter: 1


The author's comments:

I have worked on this piece for a mounth and have had alot of fun making it.