The Haunted House

An invisible hand grabbed me and pulled me into the door. I awoke from a terrible dream. However, I remembered that I was going to my best friend Haley's house later that day and was anxious to get ready. Performing my daily routine, I got out of bed, brushed my teeth, ate breakfast while playing Duh Zombie Zoo 2, took a shower and so on until it was time for me to go. I grabbed my backpack and my coat and exited the door. Haley's house was down the block so I biked there. When I arrived, Haley was waiting outside with her backpack and bike on their driveway.

"Hey Leo! Bet I can beat you to the Oaks-grove cemetery!" She said hopping onto her bike.

"Cemetery? You know cemeteries give me the creeps!" I shivered.

"Scaredy cat," she teased and zoomed off on her bike.

"Hey," I called scrambling after her.

We pedaled down the sidewalk until suddenly Haley came to a halt. Before us was an abandoned, aged, beaten up house.

"No way! This reminds me of that one mystery book I read where the main character discovers a haunted house," Haley recalled.

"How do you know if it's haunted?" I insisted.

"Then let's check it out," she said with a smirk on her face.

We dropped our backpacks on the lawn and made our way to the door. Without touching it, the door creaked open.

"I don't think this is a good idea," I muttered backing away.

"C'mon, how bad could it be," Haley said entering the house.

I hesitated then followed after her trembling. Instantly, the door shut behind us.

"Ok, this is bad!" She cried tugging on the door which wouldn't open.

"I knew this was a bad idea," I confirmed.

Suddenly, I heard a noise from a door ahead of us.

"Did you hear that? I think there's someone in that room that could help us," I suggested.

"Then what are we waiting for?" Haley said darting to the door.

I followed after her. Haley banged it open. Just then, a monstrous hand snatched Haley and yanked her inside, shutting the door rapidly.

"Haley!" I screeched. Haley was screaming at the top of her lungs. My heart skipped a beat.

"Don't worry. I'll get you out of there!"

I tugged on the door, trying to get it open, but it wouldn't budged. Butterflies started to engulf in my stomach. Swallowing down the lump in my throat, I tried to think of a solution. All of a sudden, I got an idea.

"You could use your bobby-pin to unlock the door!" I advised.

"That's a great idea!" She answered.

In no time, she burst the door open, and leaped into my arms.

"Thank you so much Leo! You're the best!" She said squeezing me tightly.

"Um… Haley… there's something behind you…"

"What?" Haley asked turning around, "Aaaaaaaahhh!!!"

"Run!!!" I yelped as we sprinted away from the monster that was chasing us.

Haley brought out her bobby-pin to unlock the front door.

"Quick, it's right behind us!" I yelled.

Haley's sweaty hands fidgeted with the bobby-pin.

Desperation swelled my lungs, hot and thick. The hair on my arms were standing as I heard the footsteps of the creature inches away from us. "Hurry up!!!

"I'm trying!" She shouted until she was finally able to unfasten the lock and bang the door open.

We fled outside and slammed the door shut.

"We should go home," Haley suggested after we caught our breathes.

We grabbed our bikes and made our way home safe and sound. Haley and I never spoke of the moment again.

A week later, we heard on the news that a child was said to have gone to the Oaks-grove cemetery, but never came back. We'd thought it through and both knew what really happened. He'd ran into the haunted house.