Deja Vu | Teen Ink

Deja Vu

By Dannymanny BRONZE, Park City, Utah
Dannymanny BRONZE, Park City, Utah

Deja Vu
When I wake up my eyes are shot by the rays of the scorching sun. After a minute or two,
they adjust and I can look around. I sit up, on the dirt and leaves of the rainforest floor. I am soaked from the wet ground. As I try to stand up I feel a shot of pain in my leg, then it comes back to me. What happened to get me here, but right now that doesn't matter, all that matters is that I get the heckle out of here. I try again to stand up, this time it’s easier. I grab a low- hanging branch to help me get to my feet, but as I pull, my hand slips on the moist bark. I use the log next to me to push up off the ground, this time I am able to stand up and get my balance. I take a deep breath and try to focus on what I have to do.
The pain slowly eases and I walk faster. Everything looks the exact same and it’s starting to make me dizzy. My head starts to spin, I trip over my own feet and the last thing I see is a rock three inches in front of my face...
Sometime in the near Future
I lean back and the dagger leaves a hole in my shirt. I use all my strength to punch him straight in the nose, his eyes roll back in his head and he starts to sway. He falls back and as soon as he hits the ground I turn around and sprint. I run into hallway F and look around to see my next move. All I see is a window at the end of the hall, I dash for the window and dive. My shoulder makes impact with the glass first and the window shatters. That is the moment that I realize that I was on the fifth floor of the prison. On the bright side, I am plummeting towards the water, not solid ground. I try to squirm into a diving position but it is hard in mid-air. I am instantly engulfed by the dirty water. When I come to the surface I take suck in as much oxygen as I can. I try to calm down and determine what I should do. I decide to swim to shore and try to jump on one of the trains.
By the time I get to shore I am exhausted. I slowly walk to the tracks. My skin feels like it is slowing melting from the blistering sun. After they took me out of the rainforest I hadn't been able to go outside. Once I get passed the beach I sit down under a tree and try to process what has happened in the past few weeks. My life has been complete flipped upside-down. I don't even know my own name now. All I know is that I am prisoner 103016 and that I am 16 years old. I still don't remember my family or where I am from. The scientist said that I would regain those memories eventually. After the scientists took me from the jungle they brought me to the prison. They told me that I would be a part of their army. Their program was called KABLE, and they were trying to raise an army to take over the world They did not tell me much but they warned me that I had to comply or their would be serious consequences. So I did as they said, that is until I figured out what was going to happen to me if I hadn't gotten out. One day when I woke up in the middle of the night, I went to get water and I saw the scientists doing something to other kids. I saw the kid that I shared a cell with and the scientists were doing something to him, but I couldn't tell what. The next morning he was completely different like he had died on the inside and had now thoughts. So that is when I decided to make my move. I ran out of my cell and that's when I ran into the guard.
After a few minutes of rest, I got back up and headed to the tracks. It wasn't far, the hard part was getting onto the train without anyone noticing. It was about an 8-foot jump to get on the train and that is even harder while it is moving. I have to get on towards the back of the train where the cargo is kept or I risk being seen by a passenger. When I get to the tracks the train is already passing so I don't have much time. I duck low so no one sees me. Then when I see the right train car, I take a few steps back, run and jump. I land a little too close to the edge and I role one too many times.
I role off the edge but I manage to grasp the ledge of the train and hang on. I can see the sparks fly from the wheels, I try to pull myself up but it is hard because of how fast we are going. I find a place to put my foot to push myself up. I push with my feet and pull with my hands and I am able to get back on the train. I lay on my back feeling dead, I close my eyes, and I sleep.
When I wake up it’s dark outside, but it’s still very warm. The breeze the air is refreshing. The stars are the brightest I have ever seen. I'm not sure how much farther we have to go because I have only ever seen the train from my cell window. I sit on a crate and I hear my stomach rumble. I haven't eaten anything in since breakfast but that was about 12 hours ago according to my watch. It won't be too hard to find food in the wild, I would go to the store but if they saw me in my jumpsuit they would call the police and they would take me back to the prison. I have to find a way to get normal clothes ignore to go into the city.
I decide to find something in the passenger luggage. The car has the word LUGGAGE in big letters so I’ll know which car it is, the hard part will be getting into the car. I find the car three cars behind me. I peek over the edge and I see a lock on the metal door. I look around for anything I could use to break the lock, luckily, there was an old pipe on the top of the car that seemed sturdy enough to break the lock. I slide my legs off the edge then try to slowly drop myself down to the small platform. Once I get there I take the pipe in one hand and hold the railing with the other. It only takes two blows to snap the lock in two. I swing open the door and see all the suitcases. I look through a few to find clothes that would fit me and in a blue duffel bag I found shorts and a red t-shirt that are my size, I grab a backpack and stuff the clothes inside.
Once I get back to the train car I was on before, I can see the city in the distance, probably about fifty miles or so. I start to think about when I will jump off the train, probably at least a mile away to keep myself from getting seen. So I wait, and I look at the bright city lights, it was a funny feeling, but I couldn't seem to look away. They were so bright and colorful, I had never seen anything like it. I don't really know what to expect from the city but I am really excited to get there.
As soon as I can start reading the billboards I figured it was time to jump off. I hit the ground hard and tumble a few times before I get to my feet. I sprinted into the jungle and took a deep breath. It was now 11:00 in the afternoon, I had to change my clothes then I would walk to the city. It would probably take about thirty minutes to get there and then I have to find food. I haven’t eaten in more than twenty-four hours and it's starting to effect me. As I go further into the jungle I feel like someone is watching me. I start to run, then I feel a poke in my back. My body starts to get tight, I stumble and crash to the ground.
When I wake up my eyes are shot by the rays of the scorching sun. After a minute or two, they adjust and I can look around. I sit up, on the dirt and leaves of the rainforest floor. I am soaked from the wet ground. As I try to stand up I feel a shot of pain in my leg, then it comes back to me. What happened to get me here, but right now that doesn't matter, all that matters is that I get the heckle out of here. I try again to stand up, this time it’s easier. I grab a low- hanging branch to help me get to my feet, but as I pull, my hand slips on the moist bark. I use the log next to me to push up off the ground, this time I am able to stand up and get my balance. I take a deep breath and try to focus on what I have to do.
After that it hits me, I have been here before.....

This story is about a boy who had a normal life until a group of scientists took him and change his life completly.