Deadly Dog Disease | Teen Ink

Deadly Dog Disease

By el1th3gam3r SILVER, Glenpool, OK, Oklahoma
el1th3gam3r SILVER, Glenpool, OK, Oklahoma

Friday, August 29th, 2015 at 9:30 PM. According to scientists, that would be the time when every single dog on Earth would perish. No one could stop it. Even hiding wouldn’t work. No dog owner could save their dog. That’s what everyone thought.

But Jack was determined. He had no intentions of letting Scrappy die. He has had the dog for about four years, and he grew a strong bond with it. Sometimes, when Jack got lonely, he would turn to talking to Scrappy instead of his family.
When Jack heard about this disease, he promised himself he would do anything to let his dog live. Anything.
“I’ll find out how to keep you away from this disease. I promise that, Scrappy,” Jack said to his dog.
The dog responded by licking Jack’s face.
“Thousands of dogs in the United States have already died, even my friend Ben’s two golden retrievers. I think you have met them before, haven’t you?” Jack continued.
Jack sounded determined, and he was. But he knew he didn’t stand a chance. There are doctors out there who still can’t cure diseases or sicknesses. There are veterinarians out there who had put the dog to sleep so it wouldn’t have to suffer the pain this disease gives.
I am a thirteen year old boy, and I think I can save my dog from a deadly disease, which has already wiped out thousands of dogs. I know I can’t do it, but I don’t want Scrappy to get discouraged, not like he can hear me anyway, Jack thought.
It was about three hours later that he noticed that Scrappy was sound asleep. Usually, when he walked by as quiet as he could, the dog would be jumping on his leg before he knew it. But this time, Scrappy just laid there on the couch.
Eyes closed, isn’t barking, isn’t moving. Please be okay, Scrappy. Please be okay, Jack thought with tears forming in his eyes.
Jack ran over to the dog, and it slowly opened it’s eyes.
“Scrappy!” Jack shouted. “You’re alive!”
The dog didn’t respond.
Jack thought about taking Scrappy to the vet, but even bringing a dog outside for one minute to kill it.
“Do you want me to call Mom? Maybe she could call a veterinarian over to the house.” Jack asked the dog.
Am I worrying too much? Maybe I should calm down. Easier said than done, though… Jack thought worriedly.
Then he remembered. All of the dogs would perish today, not just his. The veterinarian is probably really busy. Or maybe the veterinarian isn’t even there, looking after their own dog.
“Lucky cat owners,” Jack mumbled.
Then Jack and Scrappy jumped. A loud alarm started to go off.
What’s this alarm for? Jack thought.
“If you own a dog, please evacuate into a safe place without any windows or open holes. Repeat. If you own a dog, please evacuate into a safe place without any windows or open holes.
Jack looked at the clock. It was 9:20. He had to prepare to say goodbye to Scrappy.
He started to head into the attic. It didn’t have any of the itchy pink stuff Jack tried to rub on him before, and it had an old computer and desk from when his older brother lived here eight months ago. It had tons of clutter and dust. He tried to squeeze him and his dog into a box.
The alarm was still going off with the same message.
“...or open holes. The scientists are saying this disease should pass away from us in fifteen minutes.
Jack couldn’t stop petting his dog. He was worried. But then he noticed something. As he was petting Scrappy, the dog wasn’t moving… at all.
Jack put his hand over Scrappy’s nose and mouth, in case this was something that the dogs were breathing in.
About ten minutes later of him petting Scrappy, he decided to boot up the PC. His older brother has a dog of his own, and better yet, he is a scientist and doctor. He should know what to do.
He e-mailed his brother asking him what to do to protect his dog.
Sadly, he never got a reply. But he did get an e-mail from Mom.
If you are looking at this e-mail, I wanted to tell you that the best place for you and Scrappy to go to would be the attic. I will be home around 9:45.
Well, I did something right. Jack thought.
Later, the alarm started to go off again.
“We have seen that the disease has passed away from us, and it is now located in Broken Arrow. You may now take your dog to veterinarian. Repeat…” The alarm continued on.
Jack immediately grabbed Scrappy and ran the vet, which was only about a ten minute walk, but Jack was running, and he was a fast runner, so it would only take about five minutes.
When he was there, there was only one person he had to wait on surprisingly, and then he was next.
Jack waited. He didn’t know how much longer he could. But finally, the person came back.
“Okay, we have seen that your dog has been infected with this disease, but it was only slightly.. If you let your dog rest for twenty-four hours, he should be more active again.
Jack did it. He saved his dog. His friendship. He did it.

I, personally, somewhat dislike this. It may just be the name of the story, or how odd the announcements are. (Where did they even come from anyway?) But if you enjoy it, alright then. That's cool.