To Be a Knight | Teen Ink

To Be a Knight

April 19, 2016
By bendrowned BRONZE, Clock Town, Colorado
bendrowned BRONZE, Clock Town, Colorado
3 articles 0 photos 4 comments

 Roxanne was a fifteen year old girl, with dazzling blue eyes, and dark brown long locks. She was   beautiful, and many guys had taken a fancy to her, but she just brushed them away. She was not interested in marriage, she had her heart set on something much bigger.

   Roxanne had grown up with four older brothers, so she had to learn how to fight, wield a sword, and learn how to defend herself. Since she was a little girl, she always wanted to follow in her brothers’ footsteps and become a knight. But because she was a girl, it wouldn’t be an easy thing to do. But she was determined.

  One radiant summer day, as Roxanne was wondering around the market, she came across a poster. Apparently a few villages down, there where several dragon attacks. Roxanne saw her chance, her big break. If she could slay this dragon and save that village, the king would be so impressed he might just make her a knight. It was worth a shot.

    She waited till late in the night, so her parents could not try and stop her. She packed up enough rations for a few days, rapped herself in her favourite wool cloak. She grabbed her sword, and set a note for her parents on her pillow, and then finally sets out. 

  Being as adventurous as she was, she had already been to this village a few times, she knew the way. The journey would take about two days, but it would be worth it. She kept walking until she noticed the sky starting be painted with colours of dawn. She decided to take a break for a while and sat down under an apple tree, plucking a piece of fruit dangling from it’s branches. She sat there admiring the sky's bright pinks mixed with the dark purples, breathing in the sweet smell of the morning dew.

    After enjoying her apple, she set out once again for her journey. It did not feel like much time had passed by the time she reached the village. She took a look around, but there was not much left to see. Many of the houses had been burned down, rubbish littering the streets. She could hear the distant cries of people who had not yet left the village. She cautiously walked through the rubble, looking for any sign that would point to where the dragon would be lurking when not terrorising the town. It did not take long though. Up one a hill not to far off, she notices two streams of purple smoke rising into the air, the definite sign of a dragon. She inhaled deeply, this was her chance.

  She quickened her pace, making her way up the hill. She could smell it now, the horrid smell of sulphur. And then she saw it, the dragon. It was humongous, with deep blue scales that sparkled slightly in the sun. Roxanne was terrified, but she knew what she had to do. She tried to creep quietly around the dragon, looking for a weak spot in its scaly armour. She found it, and raised her sword to strike, but then the dragon's eyes shot open, looking directly at her. Her heart skipped a beat as the dragon let out a blood curdling cry and took to the air. Roxanne was in trouble now. She darted behind a rock just in time to avoid a fiery blast from the dragon's mouth. Roxanne was sweating profusely, her hands starting to slip down the hilt of her sword. She had just enough to dodge another fiery attack from the dragon.

    She had to figure out how to kill this thing! She did not come all this way for nothing. She took a quick glance up at the scaly beast, when something caught her eye. Right on the neck of the beast, she saw that several scales were missing. If she could hit the soft spot with her sword, she knew the monster would be finished.

    She took a deep breath, in, and out, she needed focus. She opened her eyes, aimed, and then threw her sword with all her might.
  
    It was a direct hit, the fiery beast plummeted towards the ground, landing with a loud thud. She had done it, she had   done it! Now, all she had to do was tell king Brishen. She took a tooth from the dragon's mouth as proof, and set out to the castle.

..........................................................................................................................................................

   As she had hoped, the king was impressed, and told her and his people that the next day he had a marvelous announcement to make. He gave Roxanne a comfortable room to stay in, and bid her a good night. Roxanne knew what the announcement was going to be, he was going to finally make her a knight. She drifted off to sleep with a huge smile on her face.

  She awoke the next day, and dressed in the beautiful sea foam dress the king had provided for her. She set out to hear Brishen announcement. she was given a seat on his right side. He was a fairly attractive king, about twenty-three years old, green eyes and golden locks. The people could not help but to be captivated by his every word. she stood up to give his speech, Roxanne leaned forward one the edge of her chair. and than he said it. YES! YES! he had finally made her a knight! Wait, what did he say? The words hit her. He had not made her a knight, instead he had announced that because of how impressed he was, and how beautiful Roxanne was, he was going to make her his bride.

    This is not what she had wanted, she did not want to be married, she did not want to be a queen. All that work, and she still could not have her dream. But there is no arguing with the king, his word is law. maybe it would not be as bad as she thought...