Lost at Shore | Teen Ink

Lost at Shore

By Evandipo98 BRONZE, Amherst, New York
Evandipo98 BRONZE, Amherst, New York

Fight on, my men,” Sir Andrew Said

“A little I’m hurt but not yet slain.

“I’ll just lie down and bleed awhile,

“And then I’ll rise and Fight again

It was a bright sunny day the wind blew calmly through John's black curly hair. Nature had blessed both John and Nicholas on a blissful day. A helicopter blew by, ruining the peaceful kayak trip. Then peace came over the sparkling waters once again.

"Ah this is so nice I could work on my tan." John said.
    Nicholas grabbed his paddle, lowered it into the water, and slapped water up to John's face.
"What the hell man, I'm going to kill you!" John retaliated.
He retaliated by slapping a wave of water that got into Nick's' eye
"Ah why did you do that it's in my eye!" Nicholas wheeped.
Nicholas immediately kept slapping water with both of his paddles. John trying to defend his eyes while water splashes him left and right.
"Get over here!" John screamed.
He immediately retaliated grabbed his kayak and plunged it up and down until the boat tipped.
"That'll teach you a lesson for splashing water in my face. Why did I even bring you on this trip? I could've taken my friend from swimming! John barked.
"Well now you're going to help me take this over to get the water out of my kayak jerk!" Nick complained.
"Oh yeah captain obvious where are we going to go were in the middle of nowhere, do you see a beach anywhere!" John said sarcastically.
"There's a beach east of where we are, about a mile away." Nick explained.
"Are you sure you want to swim a mile?" John questioned Nick.
"I'll be fine. I'm not fat like you!" Nick said.
John wanted to hit him, but he immediately contained his anger so he and Nicholas focused on finding land. Then hoisting the sunken kayak back on the surface of the water.
"Your lucky I'm coming with you, I was really enjoying the weather; but as an older scout I have to help a younger scout in need, and you are what four?" John barked.
"I'm 12 wise guy! I think you wouldn't be able to handle this because you're so heavy what are you like a buck 90? Nicholas asked sarcastically.
"This is why I absolutely hate you new scouts! You never listen to me and you at like a five year old! Act like a young adult okay!" John hollered with all of his might.
John kayaked while Nicholas was forced to drag his flooded kayak all the way to the shore.
"I'm tired can we switch," Nicholas weeped. "You pull this and I can kayak. I mean you could lose the weight."
"NO!” John wailed, “This all your fault that you got the boat tipped, if you didn't splash me; none of this would have happened! So suck it up and keep swimming you gotta use the cub scout motto 'do your best' just keep going!" John howled.
Nicholas rolled his eyes in despair. They traveled miles looking for a way to drain the water from the flooded kayak.
"You know if it weren't for you we wouldn't be in this position you know that." Nicholas said in despair.
"If you didn't whip me with water I wouldn't have tipped you boat over." John replied.
"Hey look!" Nicholas shouted. "I see a beach! Let's go slowpoke hurry you fat self so we can get back in the water."
"I'm going to destroy you when we get here!" John said under his breath.
Nicholas quickly swam to the island, while John slowly paddled to shore taking his time; and pushing Nicks' buttons.
"HURRY UP! I DON'T HAVE ALL DAY!" Nicholas screamed. 
John slowly but surely got to the island, and just as slowly got out of the boat waiting for the moment that he can destroy Nick into the bright yellow sand.
“It's about time now get you fat self over here and help me!” Nick ordered.
John immediately got out of his kayak, sprinted over to Nick, and drove him into the ground. As Nicholas strides across the beach to regain his balance, his ankle turns 90 degrees, and lands extremely hard on his shoulder.
"AAAAAAHHHHHHH!" Nichols screamed in pain.
"Brah what's wrong what did you do?" John questioned Nick.
"I think I dislocated my shoulder, and I think I twisted my ankle!" Nick explained.
"Jesus Christ you are such injury prone,” John said sarcastically, “Can you get up?" John asked.
"I just told you my ankle is twisted so no!" Nick shouted with anger.
"Alright there is no way we can keep kayaking I can sling your shoulder and bandage your ankle." John explained.
"Oh yeah captain obvious then how will get out of here!" Nicholas sarcastically shouted.
"You really question my scouting skills, I'm an "Eagle Scout" remember this has happened to me before." John told Nicholas.
***
When Evan dislocated his shoulder, John had to act; but his juvenile mind didn't know what to do in this situation.
"Evan what did you do?!" John wept.
"John I'm fine but you're going to have to put your skills to the test. I was looking for firewood, and I stumbled over this thick tree root, and I can't move my shoulder. It might be dislocated so you're going to have to put it in a sling." Evan replied.
"But I don't know how to make a sling!" John complained.
"That's where I come in, as an older scout; I will guide you to make this sling and we can make this fire to catch someone's attention up in the sky." Evan said calmly.
"How are we going to start a fire?" John whined.
Evan rolled his eyes his eyes in aggravation of John's complaining, but wanted to stay calm in a tight situation.
"I have flint and steel in my backpack, and before you start complaining that you don't know how to do it I'll help you; but first let's sling my shoulder and get out in the open field." Evan backfired.
"Alright no more complaining. I gotta be a man!" John roared with confidence.
"Yeah let all of it out of you!" Evan shouted.
"Alright what do I have to do?" John asked Evan.
"Okay in my backpack there are two triangular bandages, take that out first. Secondly you support the arm with the long part of the triangle bandage. The next thing you have to do is tie and overhand knot with the two loose ends behind my neck. Then you get the second triangular bandage, and tie out horizontally across my chest while going over the first triangle bandage; so that I can't move my arm up or down." Evan explained.
"I think I got it, try to move it." John ordered Evan.
Evan struggled to move his shoulder, but failed.
"Alright let's get some firewood, and let's build a fire." Evan John ordered.
"What kind of fire teepee, cabin, lean to?" John asked.
"Anything is fine we can get it started quickly, I have flint and steel you'll have to do the flint and steel." Evan explained.
They slowly but surely got the fire started and the smoke attracted a helicopter. The helicopter safely took Evan, and John to a hospital.
"You showed your bravery today John. I feel there could be another time where you're in this position again. I can easily see you being an Eagle Scout in your future." Evan said in confidence.
***
"He was absolutely 100 percent correct that I would be in this position again, so don't worry about your shoulder; worry about escaping this island." John said with confidence.
"Who is this guy your talking about?" Nick questioned John
"He is an Eagle Scout, his name is Evan; but you didn't become a Boy Scout when he was my age. I was your age when he was my age. Now let's take care of your wounds." John said.
John immediately got the triangular bandage and tied his shoulder into place.
"Damn you did an amazing job, but what about my ankle?" Nick asked.
"I have bandages the Boy Scout motto "be prepared," so I always have my first aid kit." John responded.
Just as quickly he wrapped his ankle with the bandages.
"Okay now we just need to get a fire started I'll get some firewood, and you'll find a place to start the fire." Nick explained.
“No! You just stay there and heal I'm going to take care of all of this!” John reatilated.
John thought he had omnipotent over Nicholas any day, but then he realized that it's always great to have some help by your side.
"Actually, could you help me because I know that both of us want to get out of here quickly. So could you help me, please." John begged.
"No problem I'll get on it quickly. Nicholas responded.
John quickly grabbed as much tinder and kindling as he could. He hustled back to the beach.
"So how are we going to this we have no matches?" Nicholas wondered.
Don't worry I've got flint, steel and a nest (rope that is loosened up and is easily flammable) so let's get this set up in a teepee." John ordered.
The teepee was put up quickly as speedy Gonzales. John took the flint and steel and immediately looking for a spark to catch the fire.
"Wow that was quick!" Nick said in shock.
"I'm as shocked as you are!" John replied. "Now we gotta raise this smoke up to the heavens, and get someone's attention in the sky." John explained.
The evanescent helicopter that earlier passed them, lowered to rescue them along with the kayaks returned.
"I don't know how else to thank you John. You really saved my life, thank you." Nicholas said in relief.
"Don't worry about it, I know you would have done the same thing for me if I was in your position." John responded know that his job is done.

It's about an older Boy Scout that has to put his scouting skills to the test, just like he did when he was 12 years old