The Man Who Made Off With it All | Teen Ink

The Man Who Made Off With it All

His name was Sonny Odilon, he was one of the smartest kids in the United States.  He was smarter, or at least just as smart as, all of the teachers he has had.  Even though he was very smart he never signed up for any special clubs like quiz bowl.  Every single teacher wanted him to sign up for stuff but he always refused.  Probably the biggest reason was because he grew up with no parents.  He was reluctantly raised by his grandparents in Brooklyn, New York.  They never paid any attention to him.  All they would do is feed him and give him a place to sleep.  So all he did in his free-time was read and study at the library.  It was lucky for him that it was within walking distance. 
He also only had one friend.  His name was Roman Nail.  They have been friends since Roman moved to Brooklyn from Cincinnati.  Roman was a really nice kid and liked everyone.  Roman was also an insane athlete.  He was friends with just about everyone at school, but when it came to outside of school he usually only stuck with Sonny.  Roman, like Sonny’s teachers, wanted him to try some clubs so that he would be able to expand his intelligence.  But he still refused.  He always told Roman that he would be rich.  And Roman would ask how, he would then respond with “You’ll see”.
After they graduated high school, Roman went on to college at Brooklyn College on a scholarship he got for football, while Sonny stayed home and got a job at the bank.  Brooklyn College was close to where Sonny lived so they still hung out every day.  One day Roman was walking over to Sonny’s house to show him that coach made Roman the Most Valuable Rookie on the team.  But when Roman showed up, cops were all around Sonny’s house.  Roman tried to run into Sonny’s house but the cops stopped.  He asked what was going on.  The cop explained to him that they were looking for a man named Sonny Odilon.  The cop then said that he was a suspect of embezzlement.  Roman then tried to explain that there was no it could be Sonny.  Roman then began to think of all those times Sonny said “you’ll see” when he was asked how he expected to make it in life. 
Roman thought that if Sonny was missing that it was up to him to try to find him.  One of the first spots he went to try to find Sonny was at the library.  Roman got into his car and raced over to the library.  He ran into there and asked the librarian, Rachel Nanette, if she has seen Sonny.  She said that he was in the next room over.  Roman walked over and asked, “What are you doing here?”
Sonny replied, “Just studying.”  Roman told him that the cops were looking for him, saying that he was wanted by the cops.  Sonny then jumped up and grabbed Roman and told him to follow him.
Roman asked, “What’s going on?”  Sonny said that he has been elaborately stealing from the bank for years.  Roman asked him how much he really stole.
Sonny said “A little over$1,000,000.”  Roman was bewildered.  He had no idea how to react.  He just stood there, thinking.  Sonny told him that they had to get out of there.  Roman then began to blindly follow Sonny.  Sonny suddenly rushed them into a random alley way.  He then uncovered a rather large sheet to reveal a brand new Lamborghini.   Sonny then told Roman to hop in.  Roman couldn’t, he was scared.  He told Sonny that this was happening way to fast.  Sonny then paused and looked him deep in his eyes and told him “Everything is going to be okay, just hop in the car and I will explain what’s happening on the way to where we are going.”
Roman said “Wait, I wanna know where we are going.”  Sonny then assured Roman that he would also explain that in the car.  While in the car, Sonny began to explain what he has been doing for the past 5 years.  He said that it all started when he started to read a book on a man named Charles Ponzi.  Sonny said that if Ponzi was able to do something like that, then how come he can’t.  But Sonny would do it better, he would try to do it smarter.  The first thing Sonny thought of was which place had the most money he would be able to steal.  The obvious answer was the bank.  He then looked at all of the banks in Brooklyn and all of their net worth’s.   He saw that the one with the most net worth was the closest one.  While he was working there he would tell the customer that there was another fee that he made up.  The customer would then blindly give him the extra money which Sonny would pocket.  He also said that he made sure that it was a small enough fee that the customer wasn’t able to notice that anything major was taken out. 
Roman said that it was an awful idea because it was completely illegal.  Sonny then responded saying that it’s not illegal if you don’t get caught.  Roman laughed uncomfortably at that.  Then the atmosphere got really awkward in the car.  Roman broke the silence by asking where they were going.  Sonny then went on to explain that while he was doing this he was putting the money in a different bank across the ocean so that it wouldn’t be traceable.  He said that the money was all the way in Italy. 
After that Sonny pulled up the car to the airport.  He said that they were going to need to fly all the way to Italy so they would be able to turn it into cash so it could definitely not be traceable.  He said that he also had somewhere to live with.  Once they landed in Italy, Sonny got off the plane and ran over and hugged a girl standing there.  It was weird because Roman somewhat recognized her.  It then clicked in his head, it was Rachel Nanette.  It was obvious now, they were both in it together the whole time.  It also dawned on Roman that whenever he went to go visit Sonny at the bank she was always there.  He then ran over and asked Roman how she was tied into all this.  Sonny said that she was doing the exact same thing at the library.  Rachel then said that they became a couple since Sonny was coming into the library so much.  Sonny told her about what he was doing at the bank and she wanted to try it too. 
Rachel then took them over to her place that she owned.  It was a small apartment in downtown Florence.  Roman asked why they only owned this when they were extremely rich.  Sonny said that they didn’t want to spend it on their home Italy because it was a last resort thing. 
Years went by at Sonny and Rachel’s apartment.  One day while Roman was cooking supper, he looked out the window and saw S.W.A.T. team member surrounding his place.  Roman then reached under the sink counter and grabbed a large bag and jumped out the window without warning Sonny or Rachel.  He started to run towards Sonny’s Lamborghini.  As he was driving away he looked back and saw their place get raided.  He opened the bag to make sure all of the money was in there.  Then he looked up at the setting sun and whispered to himself, “I’m so sorry.”