Penguin Sliding | Teen Ink

Penguin Sliding

By mmorrison1025 SILVER, Winslow, Maine
mmorrison1025 SILVER, Winslow, Maine

Penguin Sliding

The newest sport that should be in the 2016 Winter Olympics is Extreme Penguin Sliding. In this sport citizens will be measured on how far they cans slide across the piece of ice. Athletes get a five-yard running start and must leave their feet before crossing the blue line. What contestants need for equipment is a helmet, mouth guard, and a wet suit. This is for their safety, because it could get dangerous. If two people collide, we would not want either of them to get hurt. Also the ice is extremely cold and we wouldn't want anybody getting sick. This is a team competition with a group of differently aged athletes who get to choose in which position they will be sliding, and when they will be sliding. Not everyone is the exact same height or weight, so having a variety makes this sport more competitive and fun. There is although a rule in which each team must not hold more than six-hundred-fifty pounds. This takes place on a huge sheet of ice that is smoothed out by the zamboni truck. If the ice was bumpy, it would hurt the sliders. There are lines on the ice that tell them how many yards they go before their head could no longer move forward. These lines measure out to a certain amount of yards. The judges keep track of how far the contestants go, and whoever earns the most points will be the gold medal winner, so on with silver and bronze. Contestants must be safe, have fun, and slide their best!

2016 Winter Olympics