ROOTS | Teen Ink

ROOTS

By maxseaverns BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
maxseaverns BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona

Matt woke up to the sound of his baby brother screaming. “Shut up", he said. He got out of bed slowly and got dressed.
"Excited for your first day of school?” his mother asked as he ate breakfast.
"I don't really know. I mean I don't like school but school is a big change so...", but before he could finish his mother looked at the clock and said, “Your late hurry to the bus!".       
He ran as fast as he could to the stop, hopped into the bus. As he was catching his breath he saw a cute girl on the other side of the aisle. She was about his height and had blue eyes, brunette hair, and a nervous look on her face.
"What's your name?" Matt asked.
She looked up at him and said, “Jennifer. What's yours?" She asked. "Matt." He said, “is there something wrong?" "Well I'm just worried I saw on the news that there was a science mishap. There a breakout of cannibalistic people with a disease called zombification." She said.
“Zombies!” Matt yelled. All of a sudden everything stopped.

Chapter 1: ROOTS

Roots 
Max seaverns. 11.6.2014
"What's your name?" Matt asked.
He heard a voice overhead say "you have been chosen. You have five years to save the world" then a little box fell from the sky with a keypad.
“Use this to travel back in time and stop the outbreak" he tapped the start button on the box and everything went black.

"Welcome" it was an electronic voice “Please scan your first item" The electronic voice burst out laughing. Then it talked with a more serious voice "Choose your name" the keypad started to shine.
He typed in Matt and pressed start. Then it said "choose your class. Sway your left hand,” He moved it up and down and a screen appeared. “This is your side bar" the voice said.                                                                      
There where men in outfits an under them said, fire, water, nature, dark, or fairy he tapped dark and suddenly his clothes changed. It was a long dark coat with black gloves "awesome!" He said.
.
"This is ROOTS" the machine said. “A system invented by Hugh Witt’s, the man who started the outbreak of zombies. It's filled with ten floors. Each filled with monsters."
Matt also bought a sword and headed to an inn. He stayed the night and the next day he headed out.
"Where are we going next?" Matt asked.
"The tower," Navo said. "If you defeat all the enemies in the tower you can advance to the next floor,”

"How do kill an enemy?" Matt asked.

"Let me show you," Navo said.

He took him to a field where boars where roaming.  Navo suddenly turned into a standing robot with a sword. He ran and stabbed a boar in the chest. The boar dissolved into pixels and disappeared. All the boars looked over and ran towards them. As Navo was slaying some a boar rammed right into Matt. He flew a few feet and landed on his back. The boar ran at him but Matt pulled out his sword and closed his eyes. He opened them up and saw there was no more boar. He was alive.
He felt his chest just to make sure. Navo killed the rest and they had lunch at the local eatery.
"So where do the boars go when they dissolve?" Matt asked Navo as he was eating his sandwich.
" They just disappear," Navo said.

"Well what's the date?" Matt said trying to make small talk.
"August 10, 1711," Navo said. They talked more about the land and how it was mid evil and pretty soon they went to bed. They woke up the next day and walked around town. Matt saw a girl sitting on a bench messing with the side bar. It was Jennifer!

He ran over and said to her," It's me Matt, remember?"

She looked at him and said" Your Matt from the bus, how did you get here, wait were you chosen to?"
"Yeah," he said. They spent days practicing in fields and getting lunch together and one day he kissed her. Then, they started to see each other a lot more and made quite the team and Matt and Jennifer headed to the tower.
They got there and saw other kids going in as well.  They went in and saw all these monsters that they have never seen before. They charged in with all the other kids. They saw a kid get killed by a monster with a sword. Matt ran towards the monster and stabbed the monster. It disappeared and they started to fight all these other monsters. It took them two hours to kill all the monsters. They saw a stair case and them and five other kids went up the stairs. The other kids were all dead.
They reached the top off the stair case and there was a door. They went through the door and saw a completely different place. Things were a little more advanced but not as advanced as the current time.
Navo said “this is 1761,” There Matt got better weapons and clothing. Matt and Jennifer trained with the other five kids. They became friends with one of them. His name was Joey. Joey was their age and a nice guy. He looked about the same as Matt. A few months went by and they and the other kids went inside the next tower.
They finished the tower and only one was killed. They went through the door. And there were lots of buildings that looked old and rustic.
Navo said “its 1800,”

They and Joey trained together and they were the best team. The finished many floors and sadly the others died. They were at the final floor. It was current time and there were no stores or cars. Just one gigantic skyscraper. It was so tall that they couldn’t even see the top. The clouds were dark and ominous as they looked into the sky. They walked up to the building and looked at the doors.
“Well I’m outa here” Joey said as he turned around and walked away.
“No come back, we can do this” Matt yelled at Joey.
“Do you even see the building?” Joey said, “There’s probably tons of monsters in there”
“I know, it looks scary, but come on we can do this”
“No I’m not doing” it he walked away but he hit some sort of a force field and it blew him a yard away. There was no turning back. After some convincing Joey and them went inside.
It was so dark they could hardly see. But suddenly, a little light shone in the middle off them building. There was a chair with a man sitting in it staring right at them.
“Bravo, Bravo,” the man said as he slowly clapped. “You have made through my tests, but now it’s time for the real test” He pulled out a syringe from his pocket and injected it into his arm.
He smiled and said “Time to die!” He started to convulse and his clothes stated to rip and he grew and finally he turned into a giant winged creature.     He was big and black and had blank white eyes. He had pointy ears and a crooked smile with deadly teeth. Every one pulled out there swords. The final battle began.
They creature tried to scratch them with his deadly claws but they were too fast. They got some cuts on him but they didn’t affect him. The creature picked up joey and threw him into the wall. He hit the wall and fell to the ground. The monster walked up to him and stabbed him with a big claw.
Matt had enough. He ran up to the creature and ran up his tail. He jumped onto his back and stabbed the creature right in his neck. The creature screamed and tilted Matt off his back. It fell to the ground and transformed back into a man. He was coughing up blood. He looked at Matt and Jennifer and laughed.
“Well, I guess you guys are better fighters than I thought,” But he pulled out a gun. He shot Jennifer in the leg and she screamed. Matt ran towards the man and stabbed him right in the chest. The man dropped the gun. And fell to the ground. Immediately everything stopped. Matt and Jennifer immediately transformed right in the bus.
“Um, what just happened?” Jennifer asked as she looked at Matt.
“I think we did it,” he said back.