My New Life in the Ice | Teen Ink

My New Life in the Ice

Today was finally the day I was moving into my house!! My family and I have lived in so many apartments, but we never ever bought a house. That morning I had rushed to the car and spent three hours in a car packed to the brim with junk. After we had arrived I ran into the hallway and looked at the old door in the middle of the hallway.

.I then placed my hand on the cold door handle even though it was opening for me.   As it slowly creaked open a large groan filled the air like it was the first time someone had breathed for a thousand years.  Something was in there and I had to find out, I just had to.  As I slowly stepped in I felt cold musty air swarming around me like it was slowly swallowing me up.   I looked around I saw a bedroom.  The pink paint was chipping off the wall and the window was caked with a layer of dust.  My feet seemed nailed to the ground as I approached the closet.  Trembling I twisted the handle with my cold clammy hands.  When I finally pried the door open I went numb,  a pair of dark blue eyes stared right back at me.  She was consumed in a block of ice, but I could hear the beat if her slow steady pulse.  My hand reached and touched the ice…but then the ice cracked into a million pieces and the girl was out of her little cocoon. 
  I gulped as she took a step forward tottering like this was the first time she ever had walked.  Then blue eyed girl fell.  I reached out to catch her as she fell into my arms.  I gently placed her on the bed and sat on the small white rocking chair as she slept. 
********

As she slept she kept muttering things like must get away….fire….kill me,  I wondered what was she talking about.  The girl woke up 10 minutes later.
   “What happened? Why are you in my room?” The young girl said.
    “Well, this is my house now…this is the year 2014….and no one lived this house for a hundred years!  What was the last date that you remembered?”
    “Umm,..1914..my father was in trouble with the gangsters because he owed them money and then they threatened to burn our house down. I remember going to sleep that night and a bunch of scientists huddled around me…I got really cold. I don’t remember anything past that.”
     “Wow..”
     “Where is my family?”
      “They are not here. They died in 1915”
      “Why couldn’t I have been killed to!”
      “Don’t say that! I will get my mom and maybe then you could be my first and only sister?”
      “What’s you name? Mine is Cecilia!”
      “ My name is Nicole.”  I said, I was going to have fun here with Cecilia! “Come on Cecilia, lets take you to see my mother.”  As we walked the floor creaked beneath us.  The door was slowly shutting.  I ran to keep the door open so I would not have go through all  the trouble opening the big oak door.  The door kept closing no matter how hard Cecilia and I tried to keep it open.  A large cackling filled the air. 
A loud voice boomed “We have another victim at last! Lets tie her down on the bed. Marty get the ice out.  After this girl we only need 99 girls to go until we have been cleared of Cecilia’s father’s debt.  Cecilia we are going to make you a mask that you can stick on your face so you can look like Rachael and take her place. “
“Thank you.  You won’t be sorry. Nicole I am so sorry it was the only way. It is not to bad in ice.”
I couldn’t say anything I was stunned, she seemed so nice.  How would she let me suffer that after she was through that.  Tears fell from my eyes as I said…”Why, you seemed so nice.”
Cecilia replied “It was the only way to save my family you will understand soon.  Just wait until another girl comes and takes your place.  Bye.” With that she walked out of the room a mask covering her face to look just like me.  5 men huddled around me putting me into my own icy cocoon. 

And so, I have been finally awoken 30 years later, and it is time for me to live my life now as Emma Hower, instead of Nicole Higgs.

I love to write, and one day I started to wonder what would happen if I moved into a new house. 

on Apr. 29 2015 at 7:04 am
Fanfiction13 PLATINUM, Somewhere, Other

There's no fame without fans.

I agree with him. You had a great plot and ending. You just seemed to rush it instead of develop the characters a bit more. 3 out of 5.

Beila BRONZE said...
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." -Mark Twain

The idea in this story is super inventive, and there are places where your descriptive language shines! However, SHOW DON'T TELL! I know I sound like an English teacher, but it's so true for this piece. Stay away from naming emotions, and don't rush through scenes. Focus on fleshing out descriptive language; you've got some great potential here. Overall, well done, and I hope to see more of your writing soon!

Great Job! This is really job!