Getaway | Teen Ink

Getaway

March 16, 2015
By k_gagnier BRONZE, Daytona Beach, Florida
k_gagnier BRONZE, Daytona Beach, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The opposite of love is indifference."


I don’t believe it was a feeling, more of an instinct. I was taught as a young child to always stay close to home and don’t go anywhere that’s unfamiliar. I did as I was told but over the past few years I’ve been bored. Day to day routines are organized and good, but where’s the excitement?  People never saw me as rebellious as long as I did my work in class and remained silent. The world is full of judgments and assumptions about individuals which I find a bit over rated. I also find high school overrated, but who doesn’t? Tonight, I need to break the barriers. I need to pass the city limit of Boston and see something outside of this over rated city.
My friends always saw me as a great planner which didn’t really flatter me but now it’s a great tool for my getaway. As I get into my mom’s black minivan, I realize this isn’t the sweetest ride but it will do. I pull out the GPS and type in my preferred destination, New York City. Cliché, right? I reach to switch gears until I hear my phone go off with the name “Chelsea” flashing. She wanted to tag along but in all honestly, I’m hoping I can leave the last 18 years of my life behind me. Mean, but right. I decline the call and put the car in drive. I attempt at being quiet so my parents don’t wake up and realize what’s going on, but, of course the first part of my mission fails. The minivan has a habit of revving its own engine whenever it pleases, just to tick you off. I turn the car off and back on and slam on the gas. Thankfully, the interstate is a good five minutes from our house and it will not take me long to get far away from my house.
A vital source for this getaway might’ve been more food, but there’s always gas stations. I’m on my third hour of driving and realize I should probably turn off “Location Services” on my phone due to my parents being smart technology people. I wish I was blessed with the two fifty-year-olds who have no clue what an iPhone even was, but we don’t pick our parents. I honestly don’t know where I am and don’t seem to care either. My phone begins to ring and it’s my parents. I roll down the window and throw my phone in the lake alongside the road. Oops. I didn’t bring much with me for this trip, not on accident, but I just wanted to get out of there as fast as I could. Why am I running, you ask? Reasons, duh. What kind of question is that? It could just be time for a change, because even I can’t really answer that question. Sorry for the disappointment. Anyways, I believe in being spontaneous, and also unpredictable. Therefore, I’ll inform you that my getaway has really no point at all.
Third hour of driving and a bit bored and also tired. This is more boring than I thought. It’s daylight now, but I decide to turn around at an attempt to retrace my steps back home. You don’t really hear about many runaways that end up being good. This was the biggest waste of time and it wasn’t even worth the huge lecture I will receive from my father one I get home. As I turn my eyes back to the road, I realized that I turned into the wrong lane and a huge semi-truck starts coming towards me. I don’t know what to do. I passed my driver’s education class so why on Earth is this happening? I decide to go for instinct and swerve into that mini lake alongside the road. I’m flipping. I can’t see clearly. Why the hell am I flipping? They say you usually see your life flash before your eyes but I can’t see anything but glass and tree branches. Is life really going to end like this? That’s it? This won’t be a very spectacular story in the paper. Oh well. I try to budge the door open but I start to realize the great old minivan is sinking. I try to roll down the windows but the water already got to the mechanics of the car. I can’t breathe. I probably can but at this point I don’t know how. I slowly drift into a sleep then wake up in my room.
I did not imagine heaven this way. Am I stuck in my house for the rest of eternity? But, I’m not religious so it’s probably hell. I hear footsteps coming up the stairs, and angry footsteps too. Satan? I hear my father’s voice and realize he wasn’t joking when he said he could easily be the devil. I didn’t think he was being literal. My bedroom door swings open, and he says in a soft voice, “Since the minivan is completely wrecked, your savings for college is going towards a new car for your mother. Dinner is downstairs whenever you’re ready, but prepare for a good lecture tomorrow morning.” He walks out of the room and walks back down the stairs. What?