The Move | Teen Ink

The Move

By Daren Writer BRONZE, Castle Rock, Colorado
Daren Writer BRONZE, Castle Rock, Colorado

A father and son wer driving to their new house in colorado. Neither of them wanted to, but they couldn't afford to stay in their old house. “Dad, i don't get it, why couldn't we stay in our old house?” asked the son Jason. “Because we can't afford it, and its too big without your brother there anymore.” said the father bluntly. That was pretty much the extent of their conversation as they drove from their old house to their new one. But Jason's Brother was the only thing to really talk about. They both knew what could happen if they let him join the army, but they didn't think that he would actually die. But finally, after the long, backbreaking, 6 hour drive, they finally made it to their new house. The movers came not that long after. As they wer unloading boxes, Jason noticed something out of the corner of his eye, he looked up and saw a figure staring at them. But he couldn't see his face for some reason. He was wearing a uniform of some kind. He turned to his dad and asks who he was but when they look up again, the figure was gone. Jason was astounded, but his father thought he was seeing things and dismissed the story. Jason couldn't believe what he had saw. He knew that their was someone, or something watching them. after about 5 minutes, Jason soon brought himself to think that he was seeing things, and goes back to unloading boxes.

Its been about a week since they moved, things have been stressful enough for both of them. But it was especially on jason now knowing that he has to go back to a new school and make new friends. Jason asks his father, “Can I miss another week just to get my head streat”? “No” said Jasons father. “Mom would have said sure.” said Jason. everything went quiet. They hadn't talked about Jason's mother for a very long time after she died. And now Derek, Jasons brother, they had lost 2 people in their family in under a year. Finally Jason father broke the silence and said in a stern voice “you're gonna miss the bus, have a good first day.” Jason groans, grabs his bag, and runs out the front door. Jason barely catches the bus, and he gets on. But he noticed something but he noticed something as he got on, the same man, watching him. He thinks its his imagination and dismisses the thought. As he walked through the rows, he tripped over a girls foot and falls on his face, everyone started laughing at him, except for the girl, she looked at him with gorgeous blue eyes and smiled, Jason gets up and asks if he can sit with her. She said yes. The girls name was Taylor, she had long blond hair, blue eyes, and cherry red lips. Jason instantly had a huge crush on her. She was in all of his classes too. After school, he walked Taylor home. they had talked all day and somehow connected with each other in a different way. When they got to her house, he gave her a hug, and started to leave. “Wait!” said taylor. She ran to Jason and kissed him. He couldn't believe what was happening, he got a girlfriend. When she walked in the house he couldn't help but smile, and started walking home. Not long after he started walking, he got a feeling of someone watching him. He smiled and turned around thinking that it was Taylor, but his smile was quickly wiped off his face, it was the man that was watching him, Jason knew that this man wasn't in his imagination, he knew that this was very real. But Jason still couldn't see his face, the man, was wearing a army uniform, but something wasn't right, the uniform was completely darkened by a dark red, almost like blood, dripping off the seams of the fabric. Jason was horrified, he turned around and ran home. when he got home, he told his father everything that happened. His father, now very worried, agreed to drive him to the bus tomorrow.

The next day, Jason's father drove him to the bus stop and didn't see anyone that looked like the man jason had seen. Jason didn't see the man the whole day. After school, Jason walked his girlfriend taylor home again, he kissed her goodbye and started walking home. As he walked, a white pickup truck drove by him and pulled off the road onto the sidewalk in front of him.  A man gets out of the truck, he says hi to jason. Jason said hi back and tries to walk past the truck. But the man doesn't let him, he stops Jason and asks if he needs a ride. “No.” said jason in a worried voice, and tried to walk the other way. But the man doesn't let him. He grabs Jason from behind and puts a cloth over his mouth. He started to feel light headed and everything started to go black around him. But he stayed awake long enough to see another man, the same one he had been seeing, walking fast towards them. Then everything in Jasons world goes black.

Jason wakes up to the sound of a heart monitor beeping, and his father and girlfriend sitting at the foot of his bed. Jason knew he was in the hospital, but he doesn't remember how he got their or what had happened. He quickly sits up and kisses taylor, and then asks his father what had happened. His father tells him that a man in a pickup truck tried to kidnap him, but he didn't know how or who brought him to the hospital. Then the nurse walks in the room and asks jason how he's feeling. He says fine. But then he notices something, A man, in a bloody army uniform, looking at him through the window in the door. Jason doesn't say anything, doesn't even move, but looks closer. But when he realizes who it is, his skin went cold and he felt like his heart had skipped a beat. It was someone who he never thought he'd see again. It was his brother Derek, wearing his bloody army uniform. Jason says nothing, His brother looks down and almost chuckles, he looks back up at jason with a smile, a smile of hope and kindness, and he waves at him. when he waved it was almost like reassurance in a way. But as the nurse passes by the window, Derek vanishes. Jason knew what he had just saw, he just saw the ghost of his dead brother. but he wasn't scared, he just sat their, not believing what he had seen. But at the same time, he was happy that his brother was still there, and would be looking out for him beyond the grave.