The House | Teen Ink

The House

December 11, 2012
By Tyler95 BRONZE, Grove, Oklahoma
Tyler95 BRONZE, Grove, Oklahoma
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

She woke to the sound of a tree limb banging on the window of her bedroom. She rolled over in her bed. Her ex husband's absence was more of a blessing, something that no one knew. Her husband was, as she had been told over and over, the perfect husband. As she searched for her phone, she thought of all the things she had to do the next day. It was 4:55 A.M.

At seven minutes passed three in the afternoon, she heard a sudden and hard knock on her door. She jumped, not expecting the sound. The only sounds in the house had been the wind rustling the shutters, her old Arthur Rubinstein records, and the limb that kept hitting her bedroom window. She walked to the door, and began unlocking every lock, first the chain, then the deadbolt, and finally the handle lock. She opened the door fearfully. As soon as the natural light entered her house, her anxiety returned. She no longer could hide in her safe, clean house. She had to face the outside world. The day had come for her to leave. Her husband’s funeral, which was at 5:34 P.M. The autopsy had shown that he had been poisoned by Rhododendrons, a poison from a berry found on shrubs. She, of course, wasn’t a suspect for the murder. She had an alibi, for she has agoraphobia, and hadn’t left her house for seven years, eight months, twelve days, fifteen hours, and seven minutes. After the first two years, her husband had installed a security system to monitor the house. Luckily, it monitored the last five years of her life, and every move she made.

The police didn’t question her, or ask her if she knew anyone who would want to poison her husband. Every house on her block had the exact same shrubbery; anyone could have done it. But it was her, his wife, who made a raspberry pie that had a few unusual berries in it.

She walked slowly out of her house for the first time in seven years. She stepped into her town car. The driver was told to take her directly to the service, but she had a different idea.

“Take me to the airport,” she said excitedly as she tapped on the driver's shoulder.

“All those years, months, days and minutes sitting and waiting in the house has finally paid off.” she thought as she arrived at the airport.