The Survivor | Teen Ink

The Survivor

November 28, 2012
By gabrielladionisio BRONZE, Indian Trail, North Carolina
gabrielladionisio BRONZE, Indian Trail, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never expect, never assume, never ask, and never demand. Just let it be. Because if it's meant to happen, it will be.


The Survivor

What would you do if your worst nightmare turned into a reality?

Thomas Dalton, former FBI Criminal Investigator of Washington D.C Division stared at the black screen on his television set. How? He thought. How had everything he worked for in the last 15 years turned into a disaster? Every since he was a young boy all he ever wanted was make a name for himself in crime scenes. Thomas devoted his life to his dream and eventually came out on top, being known as one of D.C’s greatest crime scene investigators of his time.
What baffled Thomas the most was that all of his hard work spent in his office, all those years devoted to his dream was taken away within seconds. The one thing Thomas always reminded himself of was that it wasn’t his fault. How was he supposed to know the man was still hiding in the house his team was investigating? He never saw it coming, not even a slight hint.
He’d been shot. It was one bullet, right above his left scapula that sent him unconscious. The scariest part for Thomas was that he could still paint a vivid picture of his partners face as the man snuck up on them. He wore a look of shock on his face which instantly turned to fear as the sound of the bullet filled their ears, and spiraled through Thomas’s back.
Somehow, somewhere, an angel was looking out for Thomas. For him, surviving was the rising from what felt like rock bottom. He was not killed, very injured, but nowhere near death. The day of the shooting, he was admitted to Washington Hospital just twenty minutes from the scene. He was given devastating news that he was not to work for the next year and a half.
Two months of long, dull days passed before he was finally released. During his stay he thought about a lot. Mainly he focused on what went wrong in his divorce, or what his life would have been like if he wasn’t trapped in this bed. He felt as if he had no control anymore, as if life had just fallen apart before his eyes.
A month before he was shot, he was coming out of a divorce with ex wife of twelve years, Linda. Ending their marriage was her decision. Yes, he was the cause, but he didn’t want the divorce. She fell out of love with him, it was as simple as that…to her. Thomas however, was dumbfounded. But, there was more to come because her falling out of love wasn’t the worst part. Due to her loss of feelings, she began having an affair with another man. Not an ordinary man, a filthy rich man. His name was Jackson Lawrence, also known to be one of Washington D.C’s most Prominent business men. When Linda confessed the affair of what was now going on for four months, Thomas couldn’t even make eye contact with the woman he thought was his forever, nor did he have any desire to.
Not only did he lose his beloved wife, but the court insisted that with his job, for the protection of his six year old son Matthew and ten year old daughter Olivia, his wife was granted full custody of their children. Thomas had never dealt with such life changing problems that the only thing he could think to do was absorb himself in his work.
Thomas couldn’t bear the thought of coming home every night to an empty house. His mind couldn’t process knowing as soon as he stepped in the house, it’d be just him. The life he once shared with the woman of his dreams and his children he loved more than his own life, would not be there. No one would run into his arms saying, “Daddy! I missed you!” No wife to greet him with a warm hug followed by asking how his day went. He felt no comfort in his home anymore; all the happiness his family once brought to him was gone.
“Life goes on.” Easier said than done. Although after one year since his life took a turn for the worst, he felt as if a new beginning was about to be revealed. He was finally beginning to come out of the depression that was swallowing him up. Whether it was the medication or him actually feeling happy again, Thomas was pleased in the direction his life seemed to be going. He wasn’t dating nor was he looking, but he had finally agreed that his divorce was for the best.
It’s hard to imagine that all of this happened only a year ago. Now as he unlocked the door to his small, one bedroom apartment he dropped his keys down on the island in the kitchen and headed toward the T.V. Thomas plopped himself on the couch, turned to the local news and a wave of terror immediately took over.
“Breaking news,” announced the reporter of the 6 pm news “The Larence’s, One of Washington D.C’s most prominent family, have all been murdered. Cops were called to the scene around four AM this morning. Police informed us that a frantic neighbor heard multiple gun shots coming from the Lawrence’s estate. All four of their lifeless bodies were found stabbed to death in their bedrooms. The killer not only escaped the residence prior to the cop’s arrival but left no track of his or her identity. We hope to know more in the next few days. Unfortunately, that’s all the information that was collected for now. If you have any information on this killing, please contact your local police station. This is Nicole Rushing singing off.”
Thomas couldn’t move. Every muscle in his body had tightened in fear, his adrenaline pumping excessively. How is this possible? He pondered. Time stood still as he tried to process the information he had heard within the last 60 seconds. Why was he finding out through the news? Why was this done to them? But most importantly who was responsible for his ex wife and children’s murder? Thomas was going to unravel this mystery, he was going to find this guy and make his life a living hell. This man, this monster, took away his children and a woman that he had once loved. Whoever it was, stole four innocent lives and he would pay. Thomas was going to make sure this criminal was either locked away for life, or executed. Thomas couldn’t hold it in any longer, he needed to do something. So, he did what every real man would do, he broke down. Crying was what he needed and it was exactly what he did from that night until he drifted off to sleep immersed in his tears.
It hit Thomas even harder the very next morning. He woke up with a throbbing headache and it took all of his strength to open up his eyes. He sat up, headed for his keys and gathered all the forensic equipment that had been stored away.
Within five minutes he was out the door. Thomas went on instinct and took a left out of the apartment complex and was on his way to the murder scene. He didn’t bother to call his team, mainly because he had not worked with any of them since he’d been shot. However, nothing would get in the way of Thomas solving this crime.
As he drove all he could think about was what to expect. He’s seen a million of these types of things, but he never had any emotion towards it. To him, it was work. He was there to give families closure and put a criminal behind bars. Now, it was different. It was his family that was involved. As he approached the private gate leading up to the house, he felt his heart pounding and he knew that any given moment, he might be sick with disgust. But, he knew he had to stay strong and go investigate to start his search for the killer.
As soon as he entered through the gate, it hit him. This nightmare became reality. This fear had been brought to him, whether he was ready to conquer it or not, it was there. There were multiple cop cars and CSI vans parked out in front. One he noticed quickly, was his partner; Detective Angelo Curtis. Everyone that was at the crime scene directed their attention to Thomas as they recognized his car pulling up the drive. Thomas hauled to a stop, took the keys out of the ignition and crawled out of his blue Toyota Yaris. He walked passed everyone out there, until a buff cop in his forties stopped him.

“Hey Dalton, good to see ya. Sorry to hear what happened but I’m afraid I can’t let go in in there.” The cop informed him.

Thomas looked at the man as if he had three heads. It was the first time he’d spoken since yesterday and his voice was low and shaky.

Thomas started, “You’re telling me,” He paused, holding eye contact with the cop, “that I’m not allowed into the house my family was killed in? What’s a matter with you?” Without waiting for a response Thomas pushed passed him, making his way towards the house. He was stopped once again, but this time by someone he knew well enough to be his brother.

“No way man, you can’t go in there. You don’t want to see it.” Said Angelo.

“Move. Now.” Thomas insisted.
“Look we’re all here, we’re going to get the job done, let us handle it and we’ll tell you all we uncover.”
Thomas stared into his ex partners eyes, Angelo could feel the hurt and determination, that he exhaled and relaxed his face. “C’mon bro, help me out here. My family…”
Thomas’s voice softened,.

“There…there gone. I need you and the rest of the guys to help me. Now more than ever before, I need you to help me get this sleez bag. I’m desperate.”

Angelo dragged out another long breath, shook his head, and replied, “I’m in.”

They walked over to the rest of the crew, informed them that Thomas was now a part of the search and just like that, it was go time.


The first thing that caught Thomas’s eye was the yellow tape, with bold black letters that read CAUTION. It had been wrapped 6 feet in front of the staircase that led up to the front door, all the way around the backyard. The front of the house looked normal, like nothing had happened. He knew though, once he stepped inside that house that it would tell a completely different story. He stared at the pearl-white mansion for a moment. He knew the killer had to be after Jackson’s money, which seemed to be the only reasonable solution. But what he would soon discover would prove to be the complete opposite of what he suspected.
After a few deep breathes, he was making his way up the staircase approaching the door. His legs were buckling and it felt like his heart was about to burst through his chest at any moment. The door knob left no sign of harm done, but like the over thinker he is, he swabbed it and stuck it in a plastic bag. He stepped inside the house and now the damage was obvious. The man had not entered from the door but from the side window that was completely broken. It seemed as if he kicked the window multiple times to get himself in the house. The bay window was smashed down to pieces. He swabbed the glass on the floor and stuck it in a different plastic bag. He circled the rest of the downstairs with Detective Curtis. There was no evidence what so ever, which gave him no choice but to face what he didn’t want to all along, going upstairs. It was hard enough being in the house that his loved ones were killed in, but going up to their rooms where they’d been stabbed to death, was even more heart breaking. But, he did it. He took each step without looking back because he knew if he saw the front door even slightly ajar, that he would race down the stairs and out of that house. He kept an emotionless face as he reached the top of the staircase. To his left, was Jackson and Linda’s bedroom, to his right was the play room and right in front of him, were Matthews and Olivia’s “Jack and Jill” bedrooms.
He walked straight into Olivia’s room. The door was broken down. Thomas instantly noted the blood as he cuffed his hand to his mouth, gagging at the sight. Angelo patted his back and nodded which gave Thomas the boost to continue his walk. His legs as weak as jelly stepped forward and he swallowed the lump that had risen in his throat. He shook his head in disbelief. The blood was everywhere. It ran from her pink flower bed sheets from the wooden floors. Her light pink walls were splattered in blood as well. Olivia’s body he knew was in custody but he felt like she was there, guiding him. This, sent chills up his spine. He tried to picture how the man did it. Thomas concluded that he had to of picked her up and slammed her against the walls, followed by throwing her on the floor. There was a dent in the wood. He knelt down and observed it; the dent came from her head. He’d been in this business for fifteen years and these were the things he could pick up almost instantly. The thought of his little girl being bashed into the wall and the floor made him enraged. Thomas jotted down everything he saw. He slipped through the bathroom door that would lead him to Matthews’s room. The lump that had been in his throat for the past two days, worsened as he saw the room covered in nothing but blood. Angelo patted Thomas back assuring him that he was there for him.
The killer knew what he was doing and there was no second guessing that.
Matthew had blue and black bed sheets covered with all sorts of sports paraphernalia, today though, you could see nothing but red seeped into the covers. His little boys’ blood was covering the room that once filled him with happiness, joy, and most importantly, safety. Thomas could feel his chest tightening, the anger was becoming overwhelming. God, what sick monster would do such a thing? Who would harm such innocent children? Who would intentionally hurt his ex wife and her husband? Who!? Who was capable of being so heartless to do this!? And just like that, it hit him. He knew exactly who did it; Toni Diaz was the murderer behind this. He was just let out on parole two weeks ago. A man Thomas put away three years ago for raping a young beautiful girl was back. He knew for a fact it was him. Toni’s last words to Thomas as he was cuffed and placed under arrest was, “You’ll pay for this, and I’ll make sure of it.” The way Toni said those words was chilling! His voice so cold and daunting, Thomas wanted to smack the smirk off his face as he was driven away to the prison he would spend his next three miserable years at. Toni was back and sought his revenge. He knew the only way to hurt Thomas was to take away what he loved most, his family.
Thomas’s hurt and sorrow turned to fury. He was livid.

“It was Toni…” Thomas whispered in resentment, “The man we put away all those years ago, remember him? Puerto Rican man with the smile that we said could haunted anyone in their sleep? He did it, Angelo, I know it.”

“How can you be so sure? I mean there are so many suspects out there that could’ve done it.” Angelo replied.
Thomas’s cold eyes were daggers on his partners face.
“If you care about me at all,” Thomas began, “You’ll listen to me. You can think what you want, but I know it. I feel it. Now are you going to stay here or come with me to find out where this thing is?”
Angelo’s facial expression said it all. He believed Thomas. Angelo nodded and just like that they headed out.

They explained to the crew everything but in the end it was Angelo, Thomas, and a cop; Officer James Peters who went on the case. They drove in the black CSI van to the office to find any records on the man who would shortly relive everything 3 years prior. After exceeding the speed by about twenty miles and dodging every car that came their way, they made it to the office in record time; six minutes. The car wasn’t even pulled to a complete stop before Thomas hustled out and was dashing towards the office door. He had such an adrenaline rush that he didn’t acknowledge anyone in the building nor wait for Angelo and James. He approached the file cabinets in the back and threw the cabinet labeled A-F open. Inside he scurried his fingers until he saw Tony Diaz handwritten on a manila folder. He grasped the folder so quickly that papers flew out. Thomas dropped to his knees just as Angelo and James followed in. They didn’t speak, but joined him on the floor.
Thomas had the folder wide open, scanning through every paper in his sight. Just by looking at the description of Toni made him want to cry. He fought back the tears and continued his search through the folder. He found exactly what he needed.

“Got it!” Thomas yelled. “Street, address, neighborhood, everything we need. Let’s move. Now!”

Not another word was said as they dashed back out of the office and into the car. Thomas opened the driver side door, put the keys in the ignition and they were off. Angelo had just driven passed Toni’s neighborhood last week and knew exactly where to go. Thomas tried his best to focus on the direction to go, but all he could think about was the criminals face when they showed up. Toni didn’t have a clue, he’d be speechless. Thought he could get away with it, huh? Well, think again. The man was dumb, thinking Thomas wouldn’t go after him! Boy was he in for a surprise.

James loaded the P229’s and handed them off. They would arrive in less than five minutes. Thomas couldn’t contain himself any longer; he needed to see this man.

“Turn here!” Angelo bellowed.

Thomas forcefully turned the steering wheel and they were now pulling into a very poor, ghetto neighborhood. The houses looked as if no one had lived in them for ages. They grass was knee high and the houses all needed some sort of repair. Now though, that didn’t matter, all Thomas cared about was finding this guy. They turned onto Toni’s street, Copper lane. They were all on the lookout for the mailbox with the number 33433. Gotcha! Thomas thought as they located the beat up, yellow one story house.

Even though it was Thomas’s family, he knew he still had to remain a professional. At least he would try. The lights were all on, he was home. This man put his children in fear and Thomas planned on doing much worse to Toni.

The car was at a complete stop now; they parked five houses down from Toni’s. Officer Peters took a deep breath and whispered, “Let’s go boys.”
Thomas and Angelo nodded in unison and stepped out of the vehicle.
This is it. Thomas thought as he silently headed toward the residence of a man who he disgusted him. One more house and they’d be there. All three of them had bullet proof vests on and guns in hand. They silently walked up the stained white driveway. He had an old white 2005 Honda Accord, which had dents on every side. The left rear window was smashed and the rear view mirrors were missing. Safe guy.
They got to the chipped black door and Angelo gently knocked. No answer, and after waiting for about thirty seconds Thomas couldn’t take it anymore. He lifted his shoulder, turned it sideways and jabbed it straight into the door. BOOM! And just like that, he had broken it down. Inside the house was horrific, the smell made them all want to gag. Thomas stepped in first, followed by Officer Peters and Detective Curtis.


“Toni Diaz, show yourself! Now!” Yelled Thomas.

Silence, but than a noise was brought to their attention from the other side of the house. It sounded like a pot fell, but than a door opened and slammed shut. He was here and he was trying to escape. All three of them split in different directions. Angelo ran back through the front door, James ran upstairs, and Thomas jetted to the back of the house where he suspected the noise came from. Thomas turned the corner that led him to the kitchen. The back door was slight ajar and he headed right to it. He swung the door open and ran around the side of the house. Just then, he saw a figure. A dark skinned man with what seemed to be curly brown hair with faded jeans and white beater running down the street. It was him. Thomas’s heart was pumping a mile a minute and his face flushed as he sprinted toward Toni. Thomas’s pace was faster than ever before, his breathing paced and he saw in the corner of his eye, Angelo run into the house to get James. He heard loud footsteps behind him as the men caught up to him. Toni became closer, but then suddenly he was gone. However, Thomas didn’t stop running. He knew he was hiding somewhere. This neighborhood was small and hide and seek was not on his agenda. Thomas ran as far as Toni made it, slowed his pace and saw it. He was approaching the beginning of the neighborhood. Then he saw it. It was Toni, running across the street into another neighborhood. Thomas picked up the pace to follow him but then, it happened.

“WATCH OUT!” A woman’s voice he never heard before screamed.

A red pickup truck, driving too fast to notice the happenings of that moment, lost control of his truck. As the driver quickly tried to gain control back, it was too late.
He hit Toni, right in the middle of the street just as he was about to enter the next neighborhood. The impact was loud, spine tingling almost. The type of noise that made a person cringe, even if it didn’t harm them.

It felt like everything stopped, as if life stood still for a moment. People raced over to see Toni and sure enough, he died on impact. This may have been hard for other people who didn’t know about him watch, but for Thomas it was like watching his favorite football team win the Super Bowl. A wave of relief fell over Thomas, as the man who took away four lives, had his ended. James and Angelo came within reach of Thomas and just stood with him. They said nothing as they all listened to the ambulance make its way to the scene. Thomas stared at the blood that covered a large portion of the street and the man lying next to it that deserved nothing but death.

After witnessing Toni Diaz’s death, something became very clear to him. The day Thomas survived the shooting was a miracle. No one understood how he was still alive but now, Thomas knew exactly why he was not taken off this Earth. People say God works in mysterious ways, and there’s a purpose behind everything he does. Thomas lived through the shooting because he was intended to lead this man to his death. He proved himself to be a hero. He had the strength, courage, determination, and agility to overcome any obstacle that came his way. Thomas Dalton was the true definition of a survivor.


The author's comments:
I was given an assignment to create a short story about what defines a survivor, I let my imagination run wild and was able to develop this story.

The message behind my writing is to portray a different type of hero and show the lengths people will go to to defend their family.

I hope you enjoy :)