Forgotten Island | Teen Ink

Forgotten Island

January 5, 2012
By Blackwatch13 SILVER, Seekonk, Massachusetts
Blackwatch13 SILVER, Seekonk, Massachusetts
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Please fasten your seatbelts,” the flight attendant announced over the intercom, “we are experiencing some turbulence and the plane must make an emergency landing off the coast of Brazil. “Please take your oxygen masks and gently place them over your mouths. If the person next to you cannot do it themselves please assist them. Thank you.”
Someone screamed, “Were not going to make it!”
“Yes we are, don’t worry. Everything will be alright,” I said.
”We’re going to crash!” the woman said again.
“What is your name? “ Jim asked her.
“Veronica, “the woman managed to squeak out.
“Veronica, I’m Jim. Everything is going to be all right. Planes are meant to be able to do these things.”
“How would you know?”
“I am in the Air Force. I fly planes every day. What about you? What do you do for a living?”
“I’m a nurse at Mass General Hospital in Boston. Is everything really going to be okay or are you just saying that?
“Veronica, hold on!!”
Just as I finished my sentence, the plane took a huge dip to the ground and I blacked out.
***
“Jim, don’t go! I’m sorry.”

“Sorry Molly, this just isn’t working anymore. I’ll file for the divorce papers when I find a new place to live… goodbye.”
“Wait, Jim! You’re all I have left. I’m sorry. “

“This is how it has to be Molly. You cheated on me, and I can’t be with you if I can’t trust you. I’m moving out of the country; somewhere I can meet new people and different cultures. I need to experience the world, Molly. This is the only way.
***

I woke up, but I could only see sand and water for miles either way I looked. There were bodies and parts of a plane everywhere, but I couldn’t figure out any of it. What had happened?

“Jim!!” I heard someone scream. ‘Jim!” there it was again. Who is that? ‘Thank god you’re alive. I checked all of the bodies, but they are all dead!” the woman said.

“What are you talking about? Who are you? What happened?”

“You don’t remember?”

“No, tell me what happened.”

“My name is Veronica. We were on a plane, and the flight attendant told everyone we would be making an emergency landing off the coast of Brazil because we were experiencing a lot of turbulence. I was screaming, but you were trying to comfort me, then you blacked out. After you blacked out, the plane started to spiral out of control, and the plane started to fall apart. The tail end and the cockpit broke off into the ocean, and we crashed onto this island. I blacked out when we crashed, but when I woke up everyone was strewn out across the beach, and every one of them was dead. Then I found you alive, and here we are. It’s really a miracle that we are alive, but we are the only ones left.”

“So you’re saying we are the only people alive on this island?”

“Yes.”

“…..Do you have any loved ones in your life?”

“No, I never got married and my parents died in a car crash two years ago. Do you?”

“I’m sorry. And no, I have nobody either. At least no one will be sad if we don’t make it.”

“Hey if we’re going to live our last few weeks on this island, then we should at least make them count. If there is anything worse than dying on an island alone, it’s doing it while being remorseful and sad the whole time.” Veronica said.

“You know what Veronica, you’re right. I don’t want to spend the last of my life sulking away the days. I wan-

All of a sudden, a huge roar erupted from the dense, green jungle behind them, and they heard giant, redwood trees thudding against the earth as they fell.

“Did you hear that?!” Veronica said with a ghostly look on her face.

“It looks like we’re not the only ones on this island.” I said with a creep of terror in my voice. ‘I can’t think of anything that could be big enough to topple trees like that. Whatever it is, it can’t be good. Let’s go back to the plane and make camp there for the night. I don’t want that thing anywhere near where I sleep. I’ll go get some firewood, and you go check the plane to see if you can find anything to make a shelter with.”

“What about that thing in the jungle?”

“I’m not going deep in the jungle; I’m just going to skirt around the jungle picking up stray logs and sticks.”

“Just be safe, I don’t want to have to be out here all alone.”

“I promise I’ll be safe.”

“Good luck.”
I went out to the outskirts of the jungle, one eye looking for wood, the other closely watching for any animals that could either kill me, or be used for food. I found a huge, densely packed log that took me nearly 30 minutes to drag back to camp. After I brought that back I just picked up little pieces of kindling to start the fire with. I finished getting the firewood, so I went back to the beach to see how Veronica was making out. When I first glimpsed the camp, I was bewildered! In the hour I was gone, Veronica managed to create a beautiful campsite consisting of a fire pit that had rocks around it to contain the fire, a forest green tent from one of the suitcases in the plane. In the tent, there were 2 blue sleeping bags, with matching pillows. In the far corner, there was a black, mini electric fridge piled high with an assortment of food, from Reese’s peanut butter cup, to a B.L.T sandwich wrapped in tin foil, all of this coming from the plane wreckage. Beside the tent were 2 orange beach chairs, with cup holders in each one. Next to the fire pit, there were 3 buckets of water.
When I inquired about them being next to the fire pit, she answered,” The water needs to e boiled so the bacteria get killed. If we just drink it straight up we could get seriously ill and even die.”
“Wow that could’ve been bad.” I said with a broad smile on my face. ‘I like what you’ve done with the place”
“Thanks, it was actually pretty fun!” said Veronica happily.
“I’m glad that I have someone like you to be out here with me. You’re intelligent, funny, hard-working, beautiful, and a really nice person to be around.” I said, a blush creeping onto my face.”
“Well you’re not too shabby yourself. You’re tall, strong, handsome, and nice.” Veronica said, as a blush also appeared on her face.
After about 5 minutes of us silently standing beside each other, I finally decided to start making the fire. I was about to start the fire, when I realized I didn’t have a way to cut the log! I went into the plane, not expecting to find anything helpful, when all of a sudden I saw that in one corner of the plane, there was an orange pocketknife! I thanked God, and went outside. I started sawing the log, and after about 20 minutes, I finally cut the first section of the log. I threw it in the pit, placed some kindling around it, then I took 2 rocks and tried to make a spark. Luckily, after about 7 or 8 tries, the kindling lit! After that it was easy to just throw wood into the fire and sustain it the whole night. I got bored, so I took a walk down the beach. The beach was beautiful. The falling sun glittered off the sand particles, and the ocean created a soothing sound. I found a firm, straight stick, and used it as a walking stick. But, when I got back to the campsite, I decided to whittle it into a spear, in case that thing in the forest ever decided to show up, I wanted something to protect Veronica and myself. Then, I looked at my watch: it was 11:45pm, so I decided to call it a night and to crawl inside the tent and fall asleep. It wasn’t until I had slipped into the sleeping bag that I hadn’t noticed that how tired I really was. Minutes later, Veronica walked in. We said our goodnights, and fell asleep.
All of a sudden, I woke up sweating! I could hear thud, thud, and thud. I looked over to Veronica’s sleeping bag, but I saw her looking at me with her finger on her lips. I looked through the tent, and what I saw terrified me. I saw 2 legs the size of tree trunks walking slowly around the plane wreckage. I looked further up the body, and I saw 2 tiny arms dangling from the gigantic body. Reluctantly, I looked at the head, and I almost passed out with terror. The head was on the body of a Tyrannosaurus Rex. I couldn’t believe it. I pinched my arm, but nothing happened. “This has to be a nightmare,” I thought to myself. But it wasn’t. The whole thing was real. I thought we were dead for sure. But just as I finished praying the Our Father, the T-Rex turned its massive head and walked back to the forest. I released my breath, not even conscious that I had been holding it the whole time, and took a deep breath.
“What kind of island did we land on?” I said, terrified
“I don’t know, but if we want to survive then we have to kill that T-Rex,” said Veronica.
“But how? It’s us against a T-Rex!”
“I think I have an idea. When I was looking through the wreckage, I discovered some fuel tanks that were full of gas. If we can lure the T-Rex to the tanks, and find a way to blow them up, then the explosion would kill it for sure.”
“I think I know how. When I was walking down the beach, I found a stick and used it as a walking stick. When I got back to the camp, I whittled it down into a spear. If I learn how to throw it, then I can light the end on fire and throw it at the tanks.”
“You better start practicing! I’ll get the tanks out. We don’t have much time before that thing realizes that we’re alive and comes back.”
It took nearly 4 hours for me to perfect the throw. I could now throw with accuracy and judge distance. I practiced hitting a tree that would be the same distance away as the tank of gas I would be trying to hit. I would be about 45 feet away, hoping that would be close enough for me to hit, but far enough away that I was out of the blast radius. While I was practicing, Veronica found a dead raccoon, and she would run with it to attract the T-Rex towards the barrels, then she would leave it on the barrels. The plan was that the T-Rex would stop and pick up the raccoon, and I would hit the barrel. I was going over the routine of my throw in my mind, when I saw veronica sprinting across the beach, with the dinosaur about a hundred yards behind her. I quickly lit the spear on fire, and readied the throw. As she ran past the barrels, she left the raccoon. As expected, the T-Rex stopped and picked up the dead animal, and that was when I chucked the spear. I saw it sail through the air. I hid behind a rock, and as I went under I saw the spear bury itself into the fuel tank, and then I heard a deafening BOOM. For a few moments, I lost all my senses, and I realized my ears were bleeding and I couldn’t hear anything. I half ran half stumbled to where the body of the monster lay still. I felt triumphant and victorious, then I thought, “Where’s Veronica?” I looked around, then a disturbing image flooded my mind; Veronica was lying on the ground, surrounded by blood. She wasn’t moving.
“Veronica!” I screamed, but my words were of no use. I felt her pulse, but nothing. Veronica was dead. I killed Veronica. Then I realized I was going to spend the rest of my life on this lonely island. Then a thought passed through my mind, “What if I could just end it all here. What If I could kill myself?” There was nothing left to live for, and I was going to die anyway, so I was going to do it on my own terms. I jumped into the ocean, swam until it was deep enough so I couldn’t stand anymore. I asked God for forgiveness for everything I had done in my life, and then I sank to the bottom of the ocean, releasing all my worries and pains, and accepted the burden of death. I never resurfaced again.