One Goal | Teen Ink

One Goal

By cassandra barci BRONZE, Bayport, New York
cassandra barci BRONZE, Bayport, New York

I stepped out of the locker room and into the crisp autumn air. The vivid sun beating down on me as the salty sweat began to dispense out of my pores making my uniform stick to my lower back. I sat down on the rocky cement to put on my long white socks and shin-guards. My shin-guards have begun to mold to my shins and calves so inserting them between my socks and flesh was as easy as breathing.

After I had all of my gear on I pressed my perspiring palms into the cement and got to my feet. Once my legs were straightened out and I was standing up straight, I had an instant rush of adrenaline. The sudden gust of wind as I stood there for a few more seconds made me believe our team would play like champions today. Step after step I finally reached the fresh green grass. A few of my team members were already waiting on the metal bench that reflected the brilliant sun back into my hungry eyes. Once the entire team was ready, we arranged ourselves into two synchronized lines. Each step we took shook the ground like the Earth’s heartbeat. With no one saying anything as we ran around the chalky white lines, all you could hear was the air entering everyone’s mouth and then dispersing back into the fall atmosphere.

A stick and mouth guard check later, and the whistle blew. “Crack!” was the first thing to enter our ears as the center’s firm stick hit the carroty colored ball. Remaining tight between my moist fingers, my stick remained close to the ground awaiting the pass. Running closer and closer to the goal, but never straying too far from my teammate, the spinning ball approached me. I softened my grip to give with the ball as if I was cradling a baby. My cleats dug into the earth harder as I dodged around my opponents towards the goal, and my kilt fluttered about my energized legs while my momentum increased. “Smack!” cheers erupted in the stands and suddenly I felt other hands on my dazed body. Sticks began hitting my stick congratulating me on my accomplishment that would declare us field hockey state champions. In a matter of seconds, which seemed like decades to me, my lips separated over my hard rubber mouth guard. Then my cheeks rose up towards my eyes with the sweat pouring down my thrilled face and my teammates, coaches, and fans received the largest grin I have ever given.

For years I have been playing field hockey. This sport has allowed me to grow as a competitor and has taught me so many life lessons as well. I have always been able to express myself better through writing, so I figured why not write about something I love and enjoy doing it. As I unfold this new chapter in my life called college next year, I only hope to improve with my writing skills as well as my field hockey skills. Academics always come first in my life, but athletics have made a huge impact on my life and for that I am so grateful for. To all the teenagers out there, I hope you yearn to be the best you can be in whatever you love doing.

Anonymous said...
Seems more like a realistic fiction to me