Lost! | Teen Ink

Lost!

By Richard Gajda BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
Richard Gajda BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada

We were stuck in the middle of no where. No food, no water, and just me and my buddy Robbie. Our plane had just went down flying over the pacific, and we rode debris to an island where we hoped we could find help.

“This looks deserted man, I don’t think anyone lives here,” Robbie said

“Just chill out dude, lets just walk around and see if we come across someone.”

We walked for hours, and had no luck. I was beginning to think he was right but I wanted to stay positive. Exhausted, we walked back to the shore to lay down and think.

“What if no one comes for us man? What if this is the end?” said Robbie.

“Oh just shut up man, think clearly now. We need to survive until help comes and finds us.” I said.

“Well then what do we do?”

“We need to think of basic needs of survival.”

“Haha what are you? Man vs. wild?”

“No, but its common sense.”

“Ok then how will we do this? We have nothing to use.”

“We need food and water. Ill go look for some while you make us a shelter”

“How the hell do I do that?”

“Here’s my knife, cut some branches off and use the wood to build a fort or something. Like we used to do when we were kids.”

“Alright man ill try”

I then began searching for some sort of food or water. After hours of looking I was about to give up when I came across a coconut tree. I remember watching an episode of Man vs. Wild when he got both out of the coconuts for days. After laughing over what Robbie said about the show earlier, I quickly grabbed a few. I was relieved, if only we could open these we could at least last until help arrived.

I hurried back to Robbie, where I found him slacking off as always. He managed to put a few branches together and I guess gave up.

“What the hell you doing man?” I said.

“Oh nothing just watching the waves,” he said.

“Dude you were supposed to be setting up the fort.”

“Yeah I got tired,” he said.

I shook my head and finished it off. It wasn’t anything to be proud of, but it would do.

“Here, give me my knife lets break open these coconuts” I said.

“I don’t really like coconuts man,” he said.

“Well you don’t have much of a choice out here, so drink and eat up.”

After hours of talking, something came up on the shore. We didn’t know what it was. Our first thought was that it might be a body. We didn’t want to get near it but we became to curious and walked over.

“What is it man?” Robbie said.

“Looks like luggage” I said.

We quickly opened it up and took the stuff out. It had all sorts of stuff in it, brushes, clothes, shampoo. This was very good for us to use. As the day went on more stuff came to the shore. I began to feel like I was Tom Hanks in Castaway because of how much stuff we were grabbing off the shore. The only difference was instead of a soccer ball named Wilson I had my friend Robbie, who sometimes I think was as dumb as that ball.

Three days passed and we both were getting a little restless. No help had come, and we were running out of coconut supply. We decided we needed to do something.

We grabbed a bunch of the strongest branches we could find and the rope we had gotten off the shore and began tieing it together. We were trying to make a raft of some sort to try and go somewhere.

“You think this will work?” Robbie said.

“Its worth a shot.”

After hours of working it was done. It was fairly good, I was pretty sure it would work. We made ourselves paddles and decided to leave in the morning.

The sun rose, hotter than ever, and we left with whatever coconuts we had left. We didn’t really know where we were going, but we just wanted to get off that island. About 5 hours of paddling and we were beat. We laid in our raft exhausted as each wave brought us up and down.

I woke up to an excited Robbie shaking me.

“Richie, Richie, RICHIE!” he said, “We are saved!”

I thought he was lying, or maybe it was just a dream. But then I saw a boat coming towards us. Nothing big, just an average fishing boat, but it was help!

I quickly jumped up and started shouting to the boat with Robbie. They turned around and came right to us.

“What are you two doing out here?” the captain said.

“Our plane crashed sir, we’ve been living on an island for days now and help never came,” Robbie said.

The captain looked over at me and I nodded. He could see how exhausted and beat up we were.

“Well alright boys its your lucky day, hop on!” the captain said.

I was so relieved. I was beginning to think id never see my family or friends again. And that I’d die out here next to Robbie. We rode in his boat back to the docks and he called 911 for them to take us to the nearest hospital. We were saved at last, it was such a great feeling.

Our family and friends met us at the hospital in tears. They were so worried and were glad we were safe. Robbie and I told them our epic story as they all listened. This was definitely an adventure that we’d never forget.

I wrote this article because I love the movie castaway and it seemed like it would be fun to make up a story of my buddy and I going through the same thing.

MidnightWriter SILVER, Ontario, Other

Writers are a less dangerous version of the career criminal. Everywhere they go, they see the potential for the perfect crime. The difference is that writers have better self control.

How did the plane crash? Was it the engine? Did some one tamper with it at their last stop? Was it private, or commercial? Were they the only one's on it? Who was the pilot? Did they obtain any injuries from crashing the plane? Where are they from? How did he get the coconuts from the tree? How did they know how to build a proper raft that wouldn't fall apart? What sort of luggage was it? Was it waterproof?

Those are a few of the questions I have. You need to add more detail. Good characters though.

TheEpicAuthor BRONZE, Dnver, Colorado

For everytime you lose something you gain something else
For everytime you gain something you lose something else
Its all about youre outlook of life
Regret or Rejoice

That was absolutely astounding. I love how the characters are deeloped as they are either lazy or busy bodies. The only thing I would have changed would be to add more detail to what the island and the characters looked like.