1 Second | Teen Ink

1 Second

November 30, 2010
By alexander1 BRONZE, Cave Creek, Arkansas
alexander1 BRONZE, Cave Creek, Arkansas
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Night sky was darker than the inside of a coal mine. The air was cold and I knew it was going to storm. I saw the waves crashing into the shore, bringing a dirty ragged body in with it. I ran to it checking for any sign of life.
“Save me,” the body whispered in a raspy voice.
“Who did this to you?” I replied as I watched her slip into nothing but darkness.
The blood leaked out her fragile body, leaving nothing but a pool of blood. I noticed the stab wounds to her stomach.
I quickly dialed 911 as the blood from her stomach kept pouring out. I knew what I had to do; using my shirt to put pressure on her stomach was the only way to keep her alive for the bloody minutes to come.
The sirens blared and the light flashed, as the paramedics rushed to the beach where the woman was slowly dying.
Ring Ring…Ring Ring, I rolled myself out of bed reaching for the phone but let it go to the answering machine instead. I glanced at the clock. 8:30. I got up, walking to the kitchen to make myself some breakfast. The phone rang again. This time, it didn’t go to voice mail.
“Hello,” I answered
“Hi Mr. Anderson, we have the test results from your wife’s appointment.
My head suddenly hurt and I felt dizzy. Mary at the doctor? She hadn’t said anything to me.
“Your wife is pregnant!” the doctor stated.
“Wow, I don’t know what to say,” I stated. “Thanks anyways, bye, have a nice day.”
“You too. Good Bye.”
I turned off the stove and ran to the bedroom where my wife, Mary, was sleeping.
“Mary! Wake up!” I exclaimed as I walked to the bedroom.
“Yes Tom?”
“I just got off the phone with Dr.Robinson, why didn’t you tell me you thought you were pregnant?”
“Well you see…” she said, “Jack and I tried to have a baby…but we couldn’t. I didn’t want to tell you unless it was a positive ‘Yes’”
“Oh…Ok.”
We both had to go to work.
Mary is a blonde- haired blue-eyed 5’7 woman. We met when Mary started at my firm. She was with a different man at the time. He was wired and always looked suspicious.
Mary and I are both attorneys. That night we celebrated the good news. I stopped at Foodstuffs on the way home for our favorite pasta dish. We enjoyed the quiet evening discussing the baby. We were both exhausted from a long days work and, after dinner, fell into a deep sleep.
CRASH!!! I heard the glass shatter.
“Stay here” I whispered
I pounced out of the bed grabbing my baseball bat from under my bed. With the bat in hand I slowly walked out into the hallway ready to swing.
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! I felt something rip at my skin. It was zapping me and I felt my arms and legs become useless. The pain was excruciating! It felt as if I was getting shocked by an electric wire and unable to let go. I collapsed to the ground seeing only a dark figure prance into the bedroom.
I think I was just tasered. It was nothing I have ever felt before, like a sudden jolt of electricity it shut off my arms and legs and I collapsed flat on my face.

I heard my wife yell.
“Stop, Leave me alone,” I barely heard my wife scream.
“Shut up,” the intruder replied.
All I heard after that was an ear piercing scream, then nothing but dead silence.
When I was able to move around again, I glanced in the bedroom. Everything was knocked over. The bed covers were stained with blood, the bookshelf was scattered all over the bedroom. Whoever kidnapped Mary had a very hard time. I called the police.
The police came around 12:20. A man named Officer Nigel came and asked me a ton of questions.
“Mary Brownson…that is who was kidnapped right?” he asked
“How do you know her maiden name?” I answered
“Mary has been arrested for armed robbery and attempted murder”
“Mary B…r…o…w…n…s…o…n? I stuttered
“I know how to spell Brownson,” he snapped back.
“When did all this happen?” I quietly asked
“I don’t know…all I know is that she has a criminal record. We do have one lead onto who kidnapped Mary.”
“Who?”
“Jack Pent,” he answered
That name ran shivers down my spine, that name made me want to curl up in a corner and die, that name made me want to kill someone…Jack Pent.
Jack, Mary’s ex-husband, was a very wealthy man. His parents died when he was twenty, leaving everything to Jack. He just recently got involved in drugs.
As I sat on the sofa staring out onto the beach where Mary and I had our wedding on,
I knew what I had to do: I had to find Mary.
The only thing that I knew about Jack was that he owned and lived on a yacht in the Gulf of Mexico. Mary had pointed the yacht out to me about 6 months ago.
I grabbed my bat, got in my car and drove forty five minutes to where he docked his boat. I knew exactly which yacht…the one with JACK PENT engraved onto the side. I climbed the ladder and kicked over the door into the living room. To my amazement he was there.
The room was filled with a thick cloud of smoke. He was using a bong. His hair was crusty and his eyes were both black with a huge bag under each one. His clothes were ripped and he smelled like he had not showered in days. There were bags of long gone Meth and Weed.
He asked me if I wanted a hit and I could tell that he was totally out of it. He couldn’t even stand when he asked if I wanted a beer. I knew I couldn’t get any answers out of him so I called the police. I searched the yacht before the police came. I looked through the entire yacht but Mary was not around.
At that moment I knew it wasn’t Jack. How a guy so totally zoned out on drugs, find the strength to pull himself off his couch and kidnap a woman with no strain? I knew it wasn’t him.
I walked off the boat got in my car and drove to my house. I decided to take a walk on the beach.
The Night sky was darker than the inside of a coal mine. The air was cold and I knew it was going to storm. I saw the waves crashing into the shore, bringing a dirty ragged body in with it. The body looked like Mary. It couldn’t be, I thought. I ran to it checking for any sign of life.
As I got closer I noticed the smooth brown hair that complimented her rosy cheeks, and her dark blue eyes and her silky smooth skin. It WAS Mary!!
“Save me,” Mary whispered in a raspy voice.
“Who did this to you?” I replied as I watched her slip into nothing but darkness.
The blood leaked out her fragile body, leaving nothing but a pool of blood. I noticed the stab wounds to her stomach. The baby was dead. There was a hole in her stomach and it looked as if her stomach was ripped out of her body.
I quickly dialed 911 as the blood from her stomach kept pouring out. I knew what I had to do; using my shirt to put pressure on her stomach was the only way to keep her alive for the bloody minutes to come.
The sirens blared and the light flashed, as the paramedics rushed to the beach where Mary was slowly dying.
I knew she wouldn’t make it. I gave her one last kiss to her silky-smooth face and I knew I had to find her killer.
Jack Pent was out of the picture so that only left one suspect…Jackson Adams.


TO BE CONTINUED…


The author's comments:
I love to write so i thought I would write a short story.