The Elders | Teen Ink

The Elders

By QColdwater SILVER, Alexandria, Virginia
QColdwater SILVER, Alexandria, Virginia

The world seems a much different place now that I look back on my life. I have lived in this house since I turned five and frankly I can’t remember a life before it. I trained in black belts in Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, and I am an avid member of the Parkour community. You would never guess that from what I look like. I’m five foot ten, I have brown eyes and I wear baggy clothes to cover up my strong frame. My job is very simple, find the kids of terrorists/gang leaders/ or just troublemakers of my government and kill them. I am very good at what I do and the 87 tattoos of check marks on my arm symbolize this. For the last few months I’ve been befriending the son of the leader of the reapers. His name is Seth and frankly the kid is starting to piss me off. He is that one kid in the corner of the playground who nobody likes. You know who I’m talking about; there is one of them at every school you go to. I have a job to do though and if I do my job right I should get another check mark on my arm by the end of the night. His dad is coming to see him tonight and I am going to intercept him before he gets to Seth’s house. I had done this plenty of times before and I put on my Nike Pro-Combat which works extremely well as body armor and I put on a black t-shirt and camouflage pants and left the apartment I was using as a headquarters. I had a combat knife tucked into the back of my pants and I started to get myself into the mindset for what I was about to do. I waited at an intersection for him and when he pulled up in his black BMW I knew what I was about to do was the right choice. Hundreds of people have died by his men’s hands and here he was driving around in a black 50,000-dollar car as if he deserved what he had. As he stopped at the stop sign I pulled out my knife and slashed his tires and started to laugh and he pulled open his door exactly as I had wanted him to do. He yelled at me but I wasn’t paying attention as Viper a man who nobody wants to see get out of the passenger door. I had worked with John a few years ago and I can attest to the fact that he is probably the best killer in the world. He recognized me immediately I could tell this by the fact his facial expression went from disbelief to laughter. I thought something that had not occurred to me since I started working for the Elders. I might die. I had to keep calm because one of the Elder’s rules was never break cover. Viper did something next that I didn’t expect in a million years. He did nothing. He just stood there as his boss approached me yelling I realized he was going to allow me to do what I was paid to do and as his boss looked me in the eye I pulled out my knife and stuck it in the guy’s gut. He slumped to the ground and I saw the life leave his eyes,
“Alex, its time to go,” Viper said to me.
I was startled not by his talking but by the fact he knew my real name. Nobody knows my real name,
“How do you know what my name is?” I asked him.
“Isn’t it obvious? Alex I’m your father,” Vipers words hung in the air.
I slumped to the ground,
“S***” it was the only thing I could think of before my world was flipped upside down. That however is a story for another day.