The Other Side | Teen Ink

The Other Side

By SuperEeks SILVER, Farmington, Utah
SuperEeks SILVER, Farmington, Utah

Life is not about how many breaths you take,
it's about how many moment take your breath away.

"Come," His first words to me cut through me like searing hot shards of glass. I stood my ground, tensing for his next move. "Do as I say girl!" His breath was hot on my face as he creamed profanities at me. I was frozen in fear, I couldn't even blink. He took a breath, rubbing his temples. "I cannot deal with this," He gestured at me "right now. Quade take her into the cellar." He left without a word, but I could still see the veins on his neck, as he made his way down the hall.

A boy with purple eyes stared into me, making me even more uneasy. He grabbed my wrist witha sharp tug and started down into the darkness that lay below. Without a candle I was blind, but this didn't seem to affect the boy with the strange eyes. A single torch was lit at the end of a shadowy corridor. A sudden yank sideways brought my thoughts back. The boy shoved me into a barred room. He stared, unblinking, at me for countless moments. Before leaving he slightly bowed his head in a simple farewell, "Talia," and turned and walked into the concealed unknown.

A voice jarred me out of the dream, "Tally! Get up; God knows when you will be able to haul yourself out of bed in the morning!" An almost hysterical Gracie pulled the many covers off of my tangled body. I blinked groggily as the morning light bled in from the white curtains across from by bed. "I'm up," I mumbled. I looked at the too-small red numbers that bleeped seven A.M. I had a half an hour to get ready for PMS: the Veronica Prep School for Misses. The V is silent. I opened the doors to my massive walk-in closet and searched for my purple, gray and black uniform that always seemed to be smashed into the back corner of the closet.

I pulled the gray sweater on and slipped the plaid skirt over my tan legs and ran down the grand staircase that led to the kitchen. I grabbed an apple off the counter and headed out of my brownstone and onto the busy New York street.