Sometimes, that's all it takes. | Teen Ink

Sometimes, that's all it takes.

By SammiiGail BRONZE, Lansing, Kansas
SammiiGail BRONZE, Lansing, Kansas

& keep your head up kid, because there are people killing to see you fall.

Taking a deep breath, the boy took his place on the mound. Looking down towards home, the catcher flashed a signal. Nodding, the pitcher began his wind-up. Slowly but surely, he stood tall, the ball in his hand, front leg off the ground. And just like that, he not only threw his leg out, but the ball. By the time the pretty girl swung, the ball was already in the catcher's hand. He chuckled as he threw it back to the pitcher.

"Gonna have to do better than that," the catcher mumbled.
"I'll get it, don't you worry," the batter replied back, confidence riding her voice.

The catcher shrugged, flashing another signal. Again, the pitcher nodded, a smile coming across his face. Then he began his wind-up. With that, he threw it. The pitch was to be an inside one, but it came a little to inside. The ball grazed the girl's small tummy. She just stood there, a slightly pained look coming on her face. A look of surprise and worry immediately showed up on both the catcher and pitcher's faces. She laughed, her voice carrying throughout the field.

"Pitch again! But, as much fun as getting his is, please don't do it again," she said, a smile lighting up her face. The catcher gave a slight chuckle, the pitcher continued on with a look of horror.

Stomach stinging, heart pounding, she lifted the bat. She watched as the pitcher slowly nodded, beginning his wind-up. The batter could feel the rhythm he had, and began to count. 3... 2... 1.. And... Swing. The ball flew off the bat, going right between 2nd and 3rd base. Shocked, the pitcher walked towards were the ball ran. A smile shot across the girl's fact. The catcher stood up, surprise written on his face.

"Whoa."
"Oh, I know," she said back. "And you thought I couldn't hit. Ha!"
"I never said that! Might have thought, but never said it," he answered quietly.
"It's cool, I didn't think I'd be able to hit off Tyler anyway."

By this time, Tyler was back on the pitcher's mound. He walked over and apologized for skimming her stomach. She told him it happens and checked for any bruises. There weren't any, so he accepted that she was fine. The catcher then began to shed his gear. Each clip, one-by-one, slowly but surely, piece by piece, it came off.

"Pizza? 'Cause dude, I'm starving," Zach said when he took the last piece off.
"Pizza and video games? I feel like killing something," Sam said in agreement.
Tyler looked at them both, laughed, and told them to get in his car.

Katie R. said...
This piece has very good descriptions, and gets right to the point!  Its a good read