The Morning and a Fugitive

It’s always hard to wake up when you’re cold, still tired, and anticipating a long and tough day. It gets even worse when you realize there’s a boot on your chest and a gun pointed in your face.

I blinked, trying to bring my world back together. I’d fallen asleep last night in the middle of a field with tall grass, completely hidden. I was still there, good, and it was predawn- I saw dew on the grass and a glowing sky. I was flat on my back.

There was only one, and I couldn’t see a face very well. The silhouette was feminine, and she was dressed entirely in black. Obviously not the authorities, with a single person, no uniform, and a non-regulation weapon.

At that point I realized that the reason for this was she’d stolen my gun. I shifted slightly and felt my hip was unusually light. There was a second gun in her holster.

“Hey,” she said, friendly enough. She bent over a little more and I got a good look at her face. Green eyes, brown hair like wood varnish, round chin.

Crud. Even though I was horizontal, my stomach somehow managed to drop. It was Andra. Why me? Why her?

“Hey,” I sighed back.

“You’re a hard guy to find, you know that?” she continued conversationally.

“Thanks. I try.”

She cocked her head. “You don’t seem very happy to see me, you know.”

“You’re standing on me. And you took my gun.”

She removed her foot but kept a firm hold on the weapon, gesturing upward. I stood slowly, keeping my hands where she could see them. She kept talking. “So how’ve things been? I haven’t seen for you a while.”

Like she didn’t know what I’d been up to. It was spelled out perfectly on every wanted poster in the country. Treason. “No, it’s been a very long time,” I said coolly. “Things changed. How long have you been after me? Did you just wake up one day and think, ‘Hmm, fratricide sounds like fun’?”

“It’s not fratricide unless I kill you,” she replied, “and I won’t. I need you alive.”

“You won’t do it, but someone else will. The penalty for organizing a rebellion is death and you know it.”

She shrugged. “Sorry. It’s just a job.”

“I’m sure that will make me feel better at the execution,” I answered sarcastically.

She shrugged again and changed the subject. “To answer your question, I only picked up your case last week. I didn’t want to get involved, really.”

I folded my arms. “And yet here you are.”

“Well, some investigator was digging around in your hospital birth records and realized we were related,” she said. “They figured that I’d be able to track you down. Obviously, they were right, since none the of the authorities have any idea where you are and they’ve been looking for a month.”

She knew how my mind worked. That was her advantage.

I sighed, looking her in the eye, and took a small step closer. “Andra...”

She didn’t look sorry. “It’s not going to work. Don’t get all emotional on me.”

But that wasn’t my intention. I held her gaze for another moment until my fist connected solidly with the side of her head.

It took her by surprise, that much was apparent by the fact I even managed to touch her at all. She stumbled slightly and I took the opportunity to grab for my gun- but suddenly it wasn’t where I expected, it was smacking me upside the head. My ears rang.

I blinked, trying to shake the blow off, punched her in the gut, and heard the breath rush out. But as she tried to breathe in, she spun around, bringing up her knee right into my groin. I yelped. Before I could recover, she kicked my legs out from under me and I hit the ground hard.

Suddenly, she was on top of me, pinning my arms with her knees. But I was bigger, I could flip her off. And I started to, until I found the gun pressed up against my Adam’s apple. I froze.

“Try that again and I’ll shoot,” she said, breathing hard.

I didn’t answer. She got up into a crouch next to me, still with the weapon trained on me. “Roll over.”

I did obediently, face in the dirt. She cuffed my hands behind my back. “I thought you were supposed to take me in alive,” I said finally.

“I don’t have to shoot you fatally,” she answered. “Just enough to keep you from running.”

She pulled out a communicator, checked the screen, and pushed a button or two. “Authorities should be here in four or five minutes,” she told me, putting it away.

“What happened, Andra?” I asked, rolling over and pulling myself upright (with some difficulty). “You used to be such a nice girl.”

She looked me up and down, half a smile on her lips. “Sorry.”

I close my eyes, feeling the beginnings of fear. In the distance, I heard a siren. I was caught. “No. You’re not.”

“You’re right,” my sister said. “I’m not.”

LittleFlutiePie said...
I really liked this :) a bit more detail would really help make it pop, and it's a great start to a possibly longer article (???) haha :)

ImaginedangerousThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 20, 2012 at 6:12 pm :
Thanks. I actually wrote two other stories as sequels to this one- they're posted under the titles 'The Morning and a Victim' and 'The Morning and a Sibling'.

LittleFlutiePie replied...
Sept. 21, 2012 at 12:36 pm :
I'll check them out

theloneStragner said...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 7:56 pm:
Hello, I've read a bit of your work and I truly loved it. I was wondering if you would read some of my stories. It would really please me to have a writer of your skill comment on my work.

4qui133 said...
is this the same main character as the one in Amazon Hunt? well done, as usual. I could see my brother pulling that on me if i ever committed treason. Of course, i would shot his worthless head off--sorry. just kidding. I hate it when younger sybilings get the better of older ones.

Jan. 23, 2012 at 4:41 pm :
No, they're two different characters. I hate losing to my siblings too- I'm the oldest in my family. :)

4qui133 replied...
Jan. 24, 2012 at 7:55 pm :
ah. yes, me too. my brother has a fondness for glass splinters in his carpeting.

monkeyfaceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

good job

i really liked it you should write more...defently

apocalyptigirl said...
Hey, this was great! Really liked it, original premise. When he saw Andra I thought, "Oh no, here goes another love story..." but they turned out to be siblings and it was really original! Kudos to you! If I'm allowed to do editing on already-published stories, I'd take out the dialogue tag "I answered sarcastically" after he says that will make him feel better at the execution. It's funny on its own, and would be funnier if you didn't have the tag slowing down/dum.b.ing down the reader's r... (more »)

ImaginedangerousThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 21, 2010 at 3:41 pm:
Part three is now also on the site- it's called 'The Morning and a Sibling'.

Jul. 15, 2010 at 12:47 pm:
Just a heads up- part two has been published on the site. The title is 'The Morning and a Victim'.

bobun16This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 11:49 pm:
I love it! Write more! Please! And if you wouldn't mind, could your ead some of my work too? My fiction stuff is woefully underread and I'd like some feedback...

DaisyC. said...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 9:16 am:
I REALLY liked this! I think it would make a great beggining to a novel if you wanted to take it farther. I don't know why but I always like action adventure better when it takes place in the future, maybe becuase you never know exactley what the character is fighting or running from. Great work!!

Still_Waters26 said...
Jun. 22, 2010 at 3:17 pm:
Ha ha this reminds me of my sister!!  Good job, I just think it'd be a little more realistic if the sister didn't end up winning and he had to knock her out and leave her even though he inwardly didn't want to.

AvengedJasonFold said...
Jun. 15, 2010 at 3:10 pm:

Simon Cowel feedback--you asked for it!

This is a good action story. It's fast-paced, the dialogue is good and not in any way cheesy, and the narration is solid as well. It's well done, and I liked it, but there were things that I would do with it to make it not necessarily better, but more agreeable to my personal tastes in action/adventure stories.

Don't get me wrong, nothing was bad about the story at all. It was good, but I feel like if you added a little more spice to it it... (more »)