A World Reflected | Teen Ink

A World Reflected

By vballgirl BRONZE, Lake Oswego, Oregon
vballgirl BRONZE, Lake Oswego, Oregon

The perfect rows of trees that had once appeared so beautiful and serene now looked menacing and evil as the blurred beside me. Like the portraits in art museums, the trees seem to sprout eyes and follow me as I ran past. Wind rustled through the few remaining leaves, and it felt as though the trees were exhaling hot air down my neck. “Faster, faster,” they whispered. Malia’s words echoed through my mind. “You’re the only one who can save you sister and stop Greyneer. The fate of our world rests in your hands. Find the clearing, and you’ll discover both of them waiting for you. But hurry! Even as we speak, Greyneer gains more power.” With each passing second, I knew my sister inched closer to death, and Greyneer crawled closer toward total control. I continued to run. My feet found the clearing. I scanned the scene around me and my eyes froze on my sister’s limp, pale body.
“Lauren! Lauren, please don’t be dead! Wake up! WAKE UP!” I screamed, running over to her body. I knelt down on the ground and heard the crunch of autumn leaves below me, and shook her arm violently. I closed my eyes, feeling the tears run down my face.
“Ah, you’re here. I’m glad. Now you can watch my rise to power,” Greyneer’s crisp British accent rang through my ears. He smiled, and his eyes became narrow slits that shone with maliciousness.
“What’s wrong with Lauren?” I demanded, tapping her face gently.
“She won’t wake. You see, I grow stronger with every ounce of energy she loses. The only thing I need to return to power…is you.”
***

Sunlight streamed in through my window. I pulled down my blankets and staggered over to my window. My shoulders dropped in disappointment. Already, I knew that today, the last day in August, would be as hazy, hot, and humid as all the other days in the sweltering month. Realization struck me like a bolt of lightning. Today was my birthday! I ran upstairs.

“Happy birthday Abigail!” my mom and sister sang out in unison.

“If you go downstairs into your closet, you’ll find one of your gifts. It’s from your grandmother,” said my mom. I sprinted back down into my room. “Be sure to thank her!” I heard faintly.

What had been a corner used for a pile of boxes was now empty, with only a mirror hanging from the wall. Shining glass tiles in all colors strategically sat along the edges of the oval frame. Little glass worlds accented the frame in scattered spots. Its beauty seemed to cast a light along the carpet of my closet.

“Isn’t it pretty?” Lauren asked, startling me.

“Yes, it is, but it’s also mine,” I replied. “Mom! Lauren’s in my room!” No answer. “Where’s mom?” I asked her.

“She went grocery shopping. You’re supposed to watch me.”
I groaned, and left the room. When I came back, mere moments later, I found Lauren getting fingerprints all over my mirror!

“What are you doing?” I growled. The tips of Lauren’s fingers rested against the glass and she squinted, like she was trying to read a challenging word.

“What does this spell?” she asked. I grabbed one of her hands and pulled it off the mirror. Blurry, charcoal letters floated in the glass. But they were reversed. I flipped them around in my head. H-T-R-A-E.
“Hitray?” I sounded out. Suddenly, the world spun around me. It felt as though my sister and I were being squeezed through a tiny pipe. Pressure pounded in my ears, and I found myself gasping for air. The tube seemed to get smaller and smaller and I almost passed out from lack of oxygen. Then, just as I felt I would faint, it stopped as quickly as it started. When I opened my eyes, I no longer stood in my bedroom.
A cobblestone path sat beneath my feet with perfectly round rocks lined along the sides. Apple trees rested in organized rows and startling crimson apples sat peacefully along the ground and in the trees. The beautiful chestnut branches contorted in all directions and the brilliant leaves of jade protruded from them. I couldn’t believe my eyes. The place I now stood in was so beautiful. But, where exactly was I?
“W-Where are we?” Lauren asked.
“You’re in htraE,” a warm voice answered from behind us.

I turned to see a small creature, no more than a foot tall. She had wavy auburn hair that stretched to her waist and she wore a violet dress that had the shape and texture of an upside-down tulip. On her back sat lavender wings that violently fluttered.

“I’m sure you’re wondering what I am. My name is Malia, and I am a fairy, and I’ve come to help you,” she said in a warm voice. Looks of puzzlement crossed our faces. “You see, you are the granddaughters of Edith, who was the first queen of our world. She was overtaken by a man named Greyneer, who continues to rule today. Ten years ago, he got too greedy. HtraE now struggles helplessly as he tries to make us his slaves. All he needs to complete his plans is you two…dead. It’s up to you to stop him, and destroy his plans.”

“But, how?” I asked.

“There is only one way: combat. You must fight him, on your own. We, the citizens on htraE, cannot help you. The one with noble intentions will find the only sword that can kill him,” she hesitated. “Lauren, you need to come with me. I must speak with you.”
They walked off into the trees and I ambled in the other direction, stopping to sit under one of the magnificent trees. I thought about what Malia said. We had to kill this Greyneer person, before he killed us. I had never fought anyone before, and now I had to kill someone? A sharp blow to the back of my head interrupted my thoughts. I instinctively felt the spot, and a warm wetness seeped into my hand. The world around me spun and blurred, I screamed, and all went black.
“Abigail? Abigail! Wake up!” said Malia. I opened my eyes. When things came into focus, I saw that one of hers was swollen shut, turning horrific shades of purple and black.
“What happened?”
“Oh, it’s just awful. One of Greyneer’s followers came over to us, and knocked me unconscious! When I woke up, Lauren was gone! Greyneer has her! You have to save her!”
“Now? But I’m not ready! I don’t know how to fight anyone! How am I supposed to kill this terrible man?”
“Run north into the woods. You’ll find him waiting for you. You’re the only one who can save you sister and stop Greyneer. The fate of our world rests in your hands. Find the clearing, and you’ll discover both of them waiting for you. But hurry! Even as we speak, Greyneer gains more power.”
I took off in the direction she pointed me. The perfect rows of trees that had once appeared so beautiful and serene now looked menacing and evil as they blurred beside me. Like in art museums, the trees seem to sprout eyes and follow me as I ran past. The beautiful jade leaves now were various shades of red, yellow, orange and brown, and had fallen to the ground. Wind rustled through the few remaining leaves, and it felt as though they were exhaling hot air down my neck. “Faster, faster,” they whispered. Malia’s words echoed through my mind. “You’re the only one who can save you sister and stop Greyneer. The fate of our world rests in your hands. Find the clearing, and you’ll discover both of them waiting for you. But hurry! Even as we speak, Greyneer gains more power.” No pressure there. With each passing second, I knew my sister inched closer to death, and Greyneer crawled closer toward total control. I continued to run. My feet found the clearing. I scanned the scene around me and my eyes froze on my sister’s limp, pale body.
“Lauren! Lauren, please don’t be dead! Wake up! WAKE UP!” I screamed, running over to her body. I knelt down on the ground and heard the crunch of autumn leaves below me, and shook her arm violently. My eyes closed, and I could feel the tears running down my face.
“Ah, you’re here. I’m glad. Now you can watch my rise to complete power,” Greyneer’s crisp British accent rang through my ears. He smiled, and his eyes became narrow slits that shone with maliciousness.
“She won’t wake. You see, I grow stronger with every ounce of energy she loses. The only thing I need to gain total power…is you.” His head cocked, he smiled, and sauntered forward to kill me.
“What did Malia say again about that sword?” I thought. “The one with noble intentions will find the only sword that can kill him.” “I need to save htraE.” I thought. To my left, I saw a gleaming silver sword studded with gems appear in the fallen leaves. I snatched it, and stood up. But Greyneer was ready. In his hands, he held a sword of his own, though not as grand as mine.
Clang! The two swords met. Clang! We continued to fight. Clang! My sword sat awkwardly in my hand as I thrust it out towards his heart. Clang! He, on the other hand was much more skilled with his combat skills. Clang! Clang! Squish! My sword managed to find his heart, and Greyneer staggered, and then crumpled to the ground in a defeated heap.
“Oh!” Lauren gasped, weakly sitting up.
“Lauren, you’re alive!” I ran over and embraced her in a relieved hug.
“Thank you! You saved us!” Malia yelled, flying toward us.
“Well, you’re welcome and everything, but, um, how do we get home?” Lauren asked. Malia’s face fell.
“The citizens and I were hoping that you would be our new queens.”
“Malia, we belong in our own world,” I said sadly.
“Very well.” Malia flicked her wand, and my mirror appeared. “To get back, you must touch it, and say ‘Earth.’”
“We’ll visit whenever we can,” I assured her, and we did as she said.
“Earth.” Again, the world spun around me. It felt as though my sister and I were being squeezed through a tiny pipe. Pressure pounded in my ears, and I found myself gasping for air. The tube seemed to get smaller and smaller and I almost passed out from lack of oxygen. Then, just as I felt I would faint, it stopped as quickly as it started. When I opened my eyes, I found myself back in my bedroom. Nothing had changed. It was as though we had never left. I looked at Lauren and smiled.
“Remind me to thank Grandma for this gift!”