The Crash | Teen Ink

The Crash

By purpleauthor BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
purpleauthor BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, " What a ride!"

“Alright everyone with a bus 1 ticket go to bus 1 and everyone with a bus 2 ticket go to bus 2, it’s not rocket science people, let’s move!” a teacher was yelling to all the students crowding around the bus entrances.
Mr. Canz walked up to Jess and handed her a blue ticket. “This is for the bus that leaves in 10 minutes for Washington, it will pick you up at the first corner, Kevin is already there, Ms. B will be riding with you” She turned and walked toward the corner with a strong frown on her face. She could see the tall teenage boy waiting at the end wearing a baggy blue t-shirt. To his right was the short and stumpy Ms. B waiting with her overlarge bag.

She met up with them and stood silently for the bus to arrive. A small, dirty white bus pulled up and opened its doors. The three of them walked in and saw that the bus was mostly occupied by elderly people hacking up their own old people fur balls. An old woman to their right sneezed so violently her fake teeth came out and hit the back of the head of the man sitting in front of her. She simply picked them off of the floor and placed them back in her mouth. “Nasty,” Kevin said giving the woman a disgusted look. He looked over and saw two empty seats in the middle of the right side aisle. “Sit with me over there?” He said to Jess,” Sure I suppose” she replied.

They took their seats; Jess the window seat, Kevin the aisle, Ms. B the aisle seat next to them. “So” Kevin said,” What shall we do for these 2 hours of nothing?” Jess stared out the window and ignored him. “Just so you know, it’s your fault we’re here in the first place so don’t throw a bitch fest with me,” He said. She continued to ignore him. Ms B looked over, “ You two behave now,” Kevin nodded to her and stared up at the ceiling.

The bus’ engine started and it began to roll away. It quickly followed the two large shining black buses that were filled with the other sophomores. Jess and Kevin watched it longingly.

A half hour had gone by and they were in a small countryside area. Trees zoomed past them as they drove. Getting dizzy from staring out the window Jess looked over at Kevin and saw that he was in deep concentration toward a small portable video game in his hands. “What are you doing?” she asked. He looked up, “Playing a game? What else am I supposed to do, since you don’t seem to want to talk to me.” Jess leaned over and examined the screen. From what she could see it was a racing game, and Kevin was losing, badly. “Ha, you suck,” she said smiling. He looked over at her, “Like you could do any better,” “I bet you I could!” “Yeah well I guess we’ll never know, cause you ain’t touching my Nintendo!” She laughed and took out a small purple ipod from her bag.

Kevin growled at the small device when he lost horribly for the third time. He looked over at Jess who was bobbing her head to the music. He looked around the bus and noticed that everyone but he, Jess, and the driver were fast asleep. He smiled to himself and continued to examine the bus’s interior. Jess looked up at him, she was watching him without any music on, just earphones in so he wouldn’t speak to her.

“So?” He said in a bored tone.” Nice shirt?” Jess took out her earphones and looked down at what she was wearing, light blue skinny leg jeans, regular black chuck sneakers, and a lose fit white shirt with purple flowers across it. “Thanks I guess?” She said,” Not so bad yourself with your plain jeans and t-shirt” He looked down at himself as well, “Well I’m not a girl, I don’t have ‘fashion’” “Clearly” Jess laughed and reached back into her bag and pulled out a pink Nintendo game controller.

“You have one?” Kevin said, holding up his navy blue one. “Hell yes! I don’t know how I would live my life without it! Now get that racing game out again” “Why” “So I can kick your sorry a** at it!” Kevin smiled and turned on the game.

For about fifteen minutes Kevin and Jess battled each other, ending with Jess taking first place four times, Kevin last. “Damn, you suck!” “I don’t suck, I’m just not good!” “So in other words, you suck.” He smiled and placed the game back in his bag. Looking down at his cell phone he groaned. “What?” “We haven’t even been on the road for an hour,” “Are you serious! What are we supposed to do for a whole hour!”

They sat silently, watching all the old people around them quietly sleeping. Jess looked out the window,” Looks like we’re near mountains,” Kevin leaned over and watched the trees zoom by and looked at the tall mountaintops overhead.

Suddenly the bus gave a violent jerk. Kevin was thrown into Jess and pressed her into the window. “What was that?” Jess said. Kevin looked at the driver,” Maybe we hit an animal or something?” The bus once again jerked to the left toward the edge of the road. It went faster and faster leaning farther toward the steep drop on the side of the road. “Hey slow down!” Kevin yelled at the driver. But the man seemed to be in some sort of panicked state.

Ms. B awoke suddenly from the third jerk of the bus, “What’s happening?” she yelled up at the driver but as an answer he screamed as they saw through the front window that they were headed straight for the side of the road. “Kids, on the ground!” Ms. B yelled to Kevin and Jess. They obeyed her immidetly and hit the ground on their hands and knees. When the bus collided with the metal rings at the edges of the road they flew into the air and got a glimpse of the window.

Jess screamed and covered her head with her arms as the bus traveled down the 90-degree drop down the mountain. The bus lost all hope for control as it hit small tree stumps when it made contact with earth. The hill began to slope and a long tree trunk went smashing through the front windshield and down the aisle only to smash straight through the back. The bus seemed to hang in midair for a few seconds. The roof began to creek and slow rips began to appear along the top. Kevin and Jess watched in horror as the tree trunk that was suspending the bus caused the roof to completely tear from the rest of it and sent them flying down the hill once again.

The bus started to turn on an angle and hit another tree. It dented the side and caused it to turn completely in the other direction so that what was back became front. Branches and rocks came flying in through the broken windows, hitting the passengers inside. A large stone came through Jess’s window and hit Ms. B, she fell on the old man next to her and fell out the opening that used to be her window. “No! Ms. B!” Jess yelled. Kevin was facing Jess and was horror stricken when he could so over her shoulder through the window. The ground was disappearing and the blue sky was taking over, the bus was going to flip over.

Kevin closed his eyes and braced himself when the bus came to a stop. He opened one eye to see what had happened and saw Jess starting to stand to look over the seats in front of them. He looked up at her and saw her hands go to her mouth and her eyes begin to bulge. He flipped himself around and looked down the aisle from his knees. He could feel the bus was on a tilt and saw just this tilt might end them.

The entire front of the bus was missing, completely ripped from the rest of it. The driver and all the people who had been in the first five seats were now missing. The gaping hole showed that they were on the edge of yet another deep drop. Kevin noticed people in front of them starting to stand up. “No, sit down!” he yelled, but they didn’t listen. Their weight caused the bus to tilt farther over the side of the cliff. Jess who had been standing now was flipped over the seat in front of her and was holding onto the head of the seat for dear life.

“Jess!” he yelled and moved quickly to help her but jumped back when he caused the bus to move again. Jess was now suspended in air. “Whatever, you do don’t let go and don’t look down!” Kevin said to her. Her eyes were shut tight and tears were slipping out the edges. “Hold on, I’m coming to get you!” He yelled and slowly slid toward her and grabbed her arm. She wrapped around his forearm and opened her eyes wide when she felt the bus start to tilt farther toward the cliff edge.

Kevin could see through the front as the ground started to come closer. His mind was racing with suggestions of survival. He tugged hard on Jess’s arms and pulled her into an embrace. They felt the bus slide completely off the cliff and air went flying by as the bus started to fall.

Kevin turned around and as a last resort pulled Jess and himself out their window, falling freely through the air. They both kept their eyes closed and made contact with the ground sooner then they expected. Landing on their stomachs, they were both dewinded from the force of the fall.

again this is still a rough draft, I'm still working on more details

on Apr. 3 2010 at 11:39 am

what the hell is with the d's not showing up? oh well :)

on Apr. 3 2010 at 11:39 am

yea I noticed what i was oing with the speaking parts. When I write I just type away an go back an fix everything later. I meant to go back and fix this so it wouln't be confusing but i keep forgetting! and when I uploa it here I realize that I forgot an I just hope that people don't get confuse, thanks for pointing it out though, hopefully I forget when i upload the next chapters

LittleRedWritingHood, Nfdslf, Hawaii

Huh, I'm not sure why it repeated what I said with my last post....

Oh well! It's probably just my computer being stupid.

LittleRedWritingHood, Nfdslf, Hawaii

I just read both parts, and I must say that this is really interesting. Seriously, it is. Hurry and finish it! I want to know what happens next.

The only piece of advice that I can give is that you don't put sentences with quotations right next to each other. For example, when you wrote this:

"Well I'm not a girl, I don't have 'fashion'" "Clearly"

For this, you should either try putting "Clearly" on a different line, or place words inbetween the two exerpts so that they're not right next to each other.

Overall, I think you did really well with this. I'll be looking out for the next chapter.

on Apr. 1 2010 at 12:22 am
M.E.L.Bee BRONZE, Fort St James, Other

All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

hey! overall i liked this story quite alot, however...i did think there was almost too much detail in some spots and it took away from the power behind the story. Other than that, awesome job! very good