Purposely Lost | Teen Ink

Purposely Lost

December 16, 2009
By scottb BRONZE, Lawrence, Kansas
scottb BRONZE, Lawrence, Kansas
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The only way to learn is by making mistakes"


Normally when a person becomes lost they have no clue where they are and sit around scared waiting to be found. This was not the case with me. I know my exact location and I have done everything in the world to avoid being found.

I made the trip out to Breckenridge, Colorado in six hours from Lawrence, Kansas, which was impossible for most people. At 1 in the morning you don’t seem to see many state troopers shooting radar. Flying 100 miles an hour down the road not stopping for gas at all I couldn’t wait to be in the mountains, nobody will find me there I thought. When the peaks were finally reached I parked my truck and walked 30 miles down the road to the trail. Making my way down the path, I was enjoying nature. Thinking that I found the perfect little stream, I decided it was a safe flat spot to pitch a tent. I put down my packs and skedaddled to find fire wood to keep warm with tonight. I made it to a stream and managed to catch some fish. On the way back to camp I noticed sounds of a loud truck coming from below. Great I was thinking to myself hopefully that’s not a park ranger, I hope I don’t get in trouble for being here. Hopefully they will not look for people in the restricted areas of the mountain! Night came and I still had not been disturbed, peace and quiet was finally part of my life. I stayed hidden away from everyone for the weekend and was enjoying every minute of it, too bad it would have to end soon I thought to myself.
Falling asleep that night I thought about how my wife. I missed her and longed for her love. Why couldn’t we have just worked things out and been together? I thought as I dozed off.

“GET YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR NOW!” demanded an officer.

“GET UP AND IN THE CAR!” said a 2nd round officer.

“Calm down, please. Ill move to a non restricted area. Relax guys,” I said politely.
“GET YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR,” repeated the officer. “You have the right to remain silent, you are under arrest for the murder of your wife Mr. Brookes, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You are going to wrought in prison for a long, long time you sick bastard.”
As we drove off looking out the back window of the police car I regretted taking her life.