River of Adventurers | Teen Ink

River of Adventurers

By chaotic-writing-person BRONZE, Košice, Other
chaotic-writing-person BRONZE, Košice, Other

Our boat hits the surface of the river with a splash, and in a moment Kate jumps into it. I also jump right after it, and try my best to land on the boat. I fail, and lose my balance for a few seconds. Right after that, I'm already sitting in my seat.

The idea to float down this waterfall was originally supposed to be part of our natural science project. But obviously it got a bit out of our control.

"There you are!" Kate has already spread out the paddles and throws one to me. Meanwhile, she dips the other into the water and I push us away from the bank. The river is slow at the bank, but in a few seconds the current will sweep us towards the middle. Normally it would could have been a problem, but today it is an advantage.

We both start paddling at the same time. We don't have to say anything or give each other any signal - we've been sailing together since we were little, we have our strategy and we know this river. So I engage quickly and regularly, and we slowly gain sufficient speed.

The crowns of the trees almost touch the surface in some places, so you have to be careful. The last thing we need now is a collision with a tree. But I can't help thinking that it's bad luck that I lost my camera. Endless wilderness all around, a wild river with rapids... these would be good photos that would look good in a local nature magazine.

I am taken out of my thoughts by a wave that splashes right in my face. It brings me back to the present, and I start rowing faster. Soon we will be near a rather risky turn. We could get where we want to go by following the main stream, but Kate and I agreed that the sooner we get there, the better.

Now I'm starting to doubt it a bit. Just recently, huge torrential rains ended, which raised the river level by several tens of centimeters. "Are you sure it's a good idea to take a shortcut?" I shout, as I can hardly be heard in the noise.

"We have to at least try," Kate shouts, and I sigh weakly. Of course - Kate always has to take the adventurous part, even if it costs her I don't know what.

"Then let's do it," I murmur to myself, and sharply turn the oar, turning us in the right direction.

A short action story from the environment of river rafting. It's probably just the first part or a short independent scene, to which I might write a sequel later.