Washington College | Teen Ink

Washington College MAG

September 19, 2013
By CuriousShadow SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
CuriousShadow SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Chestertown, MD: Washington College is a private co-ed college in Chestertown, Maryland. Founded in 1782, it was the first college under the patronage of George Washington. This small, four-year liberal arts school offers more than 40 bachelor’s degree programs. With just 1,515 students, classes are small – averaging about 17 students.

Washington College is ranked 93 in the national liberal-arts college ranking. It is fairly competitive, accepting 56 percent of applications. The college is famous for the Master of Arts program, which involves English, Psychology, and History.

Chestertown is a fairly small town with a rural feel. The campus is has a mixture of modern and old-style buildings. For example, the dorm where I stayed had an older feel, while the building that housed the cafeteria and recreation room was more modern. There are plenty of grassy areas and sports courts where students can relax and play.

Overall, the campus has a close-knit feel. The classrooms are modern and air-conditioned. My counselors during my camp visit were students, and they told me they like the school and its small environment.

Washington College offers sports and extracurricular activities including fraternities, sororities, rugby, martial arts, the interactive gaming society, volleyball, soccer, sailing, rowing, swimming, and many ­others.

What I like about Washington College is the fact that everything is within easy walking distance. There are restaurants, stores, and even an emergency care center. I disliked that freshmen must live in the dorms or in Chestertown. What sets this school apart from others is the unique history.

I would recommend students consider Washington College. It is an excellent school and you will thrive here if you are willing to work hard. This school would be ideal for those who don’t want a huge campus with thousands of students. It is also good if you enjoy outdoor activities.

Washington College is a good school. It is close-knit and feels like a community. Learn more at www.washcoll.edu.