Brandeis This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Waltham, MA: Imagine living in a castle instead of a dorm ... being only a train ride awayfrom a major city ... or being at a small, quiet university where you know mostof the people.

If this sounds appealing, then Brandeis Univer-sity is theplace for you. Not only are you a half-hour from all the advantages of city life,you are also in a private, serene, suburban campus with grass and trees. Thereare 4,000 undergraduates, so it's not hard to know a large percentage of thepopulation. Everyone is very friendly. It is not necessary to have a car becausemost things are within walking distance.

Brandeis is fairly competitiveand diverse. Since it is a predominantly Jewish school, there are synagogues andtemples for all sects of Judaism, plus churches and absolute tolerance for everyreligion. This is not your typical party school, but there are always thingsgoing on, from on-campus parties to concerts to bands playing at the coffeehouse. No matter who you are, there will always be something for you at Brandeis.

Reviewed in 2000