Seattle Pacific University This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Seattle, WA: A few months ago I heard from a soccer coach at a college in Seattle. I had never heard of it and wasn't too excited. But the coach showed a lot of interest in me, so I packed my bags and headed to Seattle Pacific University to check it out.

When we arrived, I was immediately impressed with the weather. I love the cold, and there was plenty of it. As we drove, I got an awesome view of the city. I saw where the Seahawks and the Supersonics play and noticed a number of huge buildings that totally impressed me since Arizona isn't exactly known for its skyscrapers.

When I got to school, I looked around and asked, "Where is it?" Then I realized that this small Christian university has fewer students than my high school. I was discouraged, since I was looking forward to a monstrous university, but I didn't want to judge a book by its cover, so I gave it a chance.

I roamed the campus with three guys from the soccer team who had a sweet house right outside the city. The campus was a lot bigger than I first thought, and included a brand-new science building, which is where I would be spending most of my time. I checked out the dorms and eating situation and was surprised by the quality and size. Their soccer field is a multi-million-dollar pitch with the latest technology in fake grass. Their gym and weight room were nice but not amazing.

After my trip I realized that maybe Seattle Pacific is a perfect fit for me after all.

Reviewed in 2004

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

Jenn444 said...
Feb. 1, 2009 at 5:01 am:
Thanks James,
I'm a senior in high school; getting ready for college. I was also skeptical about going to SPU but my college counselor felt it would be a great fit for me, I feel more comfortable knowing that you visited the campus site and liked it. This was a great encouragement to me and my parent, they feel that we should continue to pray about what God wants for me and my life. Thanks again.