University of Pennsylvania | Teen Ink

University of Pennsylvania MAG

Philadelphia, PA: Teens are rarely empowered to make life-altering decisions because parents, teachers and other authority figures constantly guide us. The first opportunity for us to choose our future is when we select a college. My parents believe that college is a part of my future, and they empowered me to choose a school anywhere in the world. This is a daunting task, but one that I appreciate.

When I finally started to narrow my list of college options, the University of Pennsylvania was close to the top, so last fall my mother and I ventured more than 3,000 miles to experience Philadelphia and all it offers. The urban setting allows students to access top cuisine and cultural opportunities and provides many internship possibilities.

Penn’s campus is a small world of lush greenery surrounded by Philadelphia and there is a sense of tranquility despite the constant flow of students on Locust Walk. This tree-covered walkway offers visitors a good glimpse of the student body’s diversity and is also home to one of two red “Love” statues in the city. Students with pamphlets try to convince you to join their cause and this political activity further sparked my interest in the university.

After returning home, I began my search for “something productive” to do last summer before senior year. While browsing upenn.edu, I found Leadership in the Business World at Wharton, their business school. I applied and was accepted - July 2006 was going to be the best month of my life.

I arrived on campus for my second visit and explored the city that would be my home for the next month. I moved into my dorm and the next day started classes taught by Penn professors at Huntsman Hall, which has state-of-the-art technology - including a computerized podium that controls the entire classroom, even the blinds. I began to feel at home and Philadelphia became my favorite place in the world.

My residential team advisors and the 61 students bonded in a way that could never be replicated. Our late-night water gun fights and dance parties are unforgettable memories. I fell so hard for Philadelphia and UPenn that I visited again this fall. This third visit was the closest experience to college life. I saw how diligently Penn students work as well as enjoy social outlets in the city. This visit solidified my decision to apply early decision.

My heart is set on getting accepted to Penn. It is an amazing school filled with students who are motivated and enjoy debating issues. The faculty is dedicated and looks forward to teaching students who are eager to learn. The fierce competition to be accepted increases every year but hopefully it will be my home for the next four years. Check out their website: upenn.edu.

i love this !

NovelistJoshF. SILVER, Erin, Tennessee
Finally, Someone to finalize my decision for UPenn. I have been looking at UPenn For at Least a Year. I'm glad that you visited it and had a good experience because I dont have the money to go and visit the university. I looked at many colleges before and none of them compare to this one. They are actually going to pay for all of your college expenses. I am surprised a college would actually do that. I am planning on going to get a masters in english. I now am excited to apply and find out what I need to do to get in. Thank you very much.