Truman State University | Teen Ink

Truman State University MAG

Kirksville, MO: In an age when attending your first-choice college could mean spending $30,000 or even $40,000 a year, the small-town atmosphere yet big-name reputation of Truman State University is appealing. The Princeton Review ranks Truman as the fourth best public college value in the nation.

When starting the college search process, I made a list of attributes that I wanted in a school. Truman met all of my requirements - affordable, academically competitive, personal. Truman provides countless opportunities for student involvement, on-campus activities, and athletics. The town of Kirksville has a feeling of home away from home, and I can see myself there.

You can attend Truman for $11,540 (including room and board) if you live in-state. In addition, 94 percent of freshmen are awarded scholarships, and 97 percent receive some financial aid.

However, monetary value, while a factor in determining the feasibility of attending your dream school, does not define the value of a university. Truman has impressive academics that compare with the more prestigious and pricey universities.

The learning environment will prepare students for life after college. Last year Truman placed 99.5 percent of graduates in a graduate/professional program or on to the first step in their career path. Even more impressive, 54 percent of graduates attended top graduate, medical, dental, and law schools.

No statistic, however, can capture the essence of education at Truman. The average class size is 22. Professors strive to get to know their students, which provides a personal learning environment.

I can see myself loving the town, the people, the academic challenge - everything that makes up Truman. The best way to see if Truman is right for you is to visit the campus and talk to students and admissions officers. Truman may be exactly what you’re looking for. Find out more at www.truman.edu.

i love this !