College Essay | Teen Ink

College Essay

By vproof1 BRONZE, Peekskill, New York
vproof1 BRONZE, Peekskill, New York

"Heaven or heavenless; We're all heading for that same sweet darkness."

People define success as being famous and having money. People don't see what success is really about. Success is not about how much income you make at the end of the day, what score you got on the SATS, or what college you will be attending after you finish high school. Success is overcoming obstacles and moving forward. Success is not accepting failure or limitations.

I went to parochial school for seven years. I was very limited. The school was small, the teaching facility was small, and the classrooms were small. It was a disadvantage to me because I didn't understand the way I was being taught. I always struggled in school. I hated school. All my teachers thought I was being disruptive and thought that I had a behavioral problem. It wasn't because of any of these things. I acted up out of frustration and having my family, teachers, and peers not understanding the problem. I didn't have a lot of friends, and the friends that I did have didn't want to be around me. Every birthday party, outing event, or even just your general get together with a group of friends, I was always excluded. I was different from all the other kids and I didn't know why. It was offensive not just to myself, but to my parents. I always felt like I was disappointing them, and that I wouldn't go anywhere with myself.

My family played a huge role during these hardships. They did everything to help me. I went to private tutors, visual therapy, and I even went to go get tested in different school districts. Nothing helped. My father came over to the house one afternoon and told me I was going to a new middle school. This was when I realized my life was going to change. This was a huge step for me. I was going to public school for the first time. I was speechless, ecstatic, and nervous. I was in mainstream classes for the first two weeks. I was tested again, and I had a learning disablity. I was diagnosed with a speech and language impairment. As I moved onto high school, I was put into small classes. I was in classes where the ratio was 15:1. This was a huge success for me because I was finally getting the help that I needed and I was enjoying learning. I was enjoying learning because I finally understood what I was being taught.

Albert Einstein once said, "Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them." I like to look back at this quote because it gives me the ability to never give up. Perseverance is the key to success. I will never let anybody belittle me or defer me from my goals and my dreams.

I was enspired to write this piece when I had to do an essay for my college success class. I had to write an essay about the definition of success and someone who is/was successful. The catch was we couldn't use anyone famous, and the person we could use had to be someone we knew personally. Well, I thought what better way to define and write about someone's success than my own.

I hope you enjoy this essay and I hope it enspires people to never give up. To never let anyone belittle or defer you from doing something and doing it well.