New York City | Teen Ink

New York City

By SydneyEstherThier SILVER, Harrisonburg, Virginia
SydneyEstherThier SILVER, Harrisonburg, Virginia

There is nothing to writing. You sit down at a typewriter and bleed.

New York City is certainly a place that is always going. It is most definitely a place that is always going somewhere. Somewhere between bright lights and city streets. City streets that are always crowded and full of people and taxi cabs that are quite possibly always going. Quite possibly never not going, quite possibly continuous throughout eternity. New York City is quite possibly continuous throughout eternity, New York City is quite possibly never stopping but always is continually going in streams of people, in bulb lights that will never be going out.

New York City is certainly a place that is always coming. Always coming up, up, up into skyscrapers sprouting from the ground like beanstalks. Coming through the cement soil, coming towards the sky. Coming together in a metal skeleton, coming apart in cracked sidewalks. New York City is certainly most always going as people are coming, as people are coming and going, as dreams are coming and going out like fireworks over the Hudson River on July 4th. Coming in a bright flash of light, going out with a bang.

New York City is staying. New York City is staying like a scar on the skin, staying like a tattoo inked, stained forever and never fading. As taxi cabs are coming and people are going, the city is staying. It’s staying in the Plaza Hotel. It’s staying inside when rain soaks the concrete, when the snow comes and goes through Central Park. It’s staying illuminated for travelers from foreign lands, staying a symbol of hope and dreams. A beacon of home, a beacon of concrete beliefs, a beacon of possibility. New York City is staying bright lights across the bay as people are coming, staying bright lights that are never going out.

New York City is almost positively always dreaming. It is certainly a city that never sleeps, a city that has learned to dream with it’s eyes open. Dreaming of the bright lights on Broadway that are never going out, dreaming of people coming and going. People are coming and dreaming and going for their dreams and staying when their dreams come true. People are coming and dreaming and going when their dreams do not. The city is dreaming of past and present and future, all colliding into a melting pot made of cement and asphalt. Dreams are coming and going as people are forgetting and changing, as the city is forgetting and changing. The city that is never not awake, never not coming, never not going, always staying, and always dreaming.

New York City is quite positively almost always changing. Always changing as people are coming. Always changing as people are coming and dreaming, as the city is dreaming as the dreams are changing. The city is always changing, always building on itself, always creating. Changes are staying, changes are going, changes are coming. Changes are molding the city, changing the steel frame to something malleable. The city is always changing and the changes are staying as people are coming and going and bringing dreams and leaving them behind, as the city is illuminated across the bay, as the city is coming and staying and dreaming and changing under lights that are never going out.

This is another prose essay assignment I received for my advanced composition class. We were to write an essay based on the form of Gertrude Stein's "Picasso." The object was to pick a subject and a few characteristics and to keep characteristics mentioned in previous paragraphs relevant. My muse was New York City