College Essay | Teen Ink

College Essay

December 16, 2013
By Carsen Ballmann BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Carsen Ballmann BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As names were called to the stage, the spots remaining decreased. Another name is called. Two spots left. Another name is called. One spot left. Finally, the lady on stage announced, “Carsen B.”

While signing up for DECA, I decided to participate in the regional competition to learn about business. From ten categories, I chose the international business role play category. Growing up in a family with many business owners, the topic intrigued me.

Using a packet containing information about business role plays, I practiced, studied, and prepared for questions until the day of the event. Nerves built up and voices in my head whispered, “The time is coming,” and no one else thought I would qualify for state.

“There’s no way you’re going to make it,” someone rumbled.

“You’re not smart enough,” said another.

I viewed this as an opportunity to prove everyone wrong. This was an opportunity to be a leader, and rise above my peers. After weeks of preparation, and hours of waiting, the judge called me in. He assigned me a tourism event in another country and allowed ten minutes to plan. I sat trying to tear everything out of my brain that I studied for the last month. Placing all my thoughts and information on a piece of paper turned out to be harder than I imagined, but I finished just as the judge called my name. Time to perform.

Initially after, I thought I impressed the judges with not only my solution to the topic, but also my answers to the questions. As I waited for the finalists to be announced and observed all the categories scroll across the projected screen, my category finally appeared. With one hundred kids in the category only five advanced.

The spots remaining were narrowing down. Nerves kicked in and small beads of sweat streamed down my body. Another name is called, two spots left. Another name is called, one spot left. Finally, the lady on stage announced, “Carsen B.”


The author's comments:
I wrote this article to create an image of me for the colleges I applied to. I wanted to tell them a story of something I have achieved that took a lot of hard work, while telling at the same time what I am interesting to go to college for.