UW-Madison | Teen Ink

UW-Madison

By aemiller GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
aemiller GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Oh Madison. Where to even begin.

I guess I could talk about my innumerable visits. I could mention the busy Saturday mornings, going to the farmers’ market encircling the capital. Or my walks on State Street. I could mention that I spent mornings running the lakeshore path, racing the sun as it was rising. I could tell you about my game day excitement as I enter Camp Randall with my Bucky the Badger hat on.

I could say I've walked up Bascom Hill. Having a heavy breath as I reach the top. At least then I know my essay would be semi-relatable. Maybe I'll mention that my sister is a senior at Madison. That could earn me brownie points. I could tell you about eating my chocolate Badger Blast flavored ice cream on the Terrace with my ankles in Lake Mendota. But I’m sure you have read that on other essays. I could be different and talk about going to the past three Rose Bowls in Pasadena and feeling my heart shatter after each one.

I could say that Madison is the best university in the state, hands down. It has first-class education with many research opportunities. Not to mention, it has a perfect mix of the campus. Half lakeside. Half inner city. I could squeeze in that it has the best campus attitude in the nation. And to be a Badger is to be a part of a family. I could say these things, but I don’t want to tell you something you already know.

These are things I could tell you about Madison.

But what I will say is UW- Madison isn’t just a university to spend my next four years at, its home. It’s the warm blanket after a long day in the cold, snowy weather. It’s there when you’ve scored that winning point in the championship intramural basketball game. And it’s still there when you bomb that Calculus test you’ve been worried about all week. It’s where you go to get back up on your feet once you’ve fallen down. Yet it’s there to celebrate your successes too.

So the question isn’t where I begin. My Badger journey has already begun. It’s where I’ll end up that is the real question.