Personal Statement | Teen Ink

Personal Statement

By Samer1193 BRONZE, Oak Lawn, Illinois
Samer1193 BRONZE, Oak Lawn, Illinois

At 7:11 a.m., the morning of August 29th, 1994, my twin brother Ramzi was born.

Two minutes later, I was born, setting the stage for a lifetime of competition that would

become the driving horse behind both of our aspirations and hard work. Throughout our

entire existence, my brother and I have been competing for superiority. This competition

has prepared me for the rigors of college and life in general. My family has seen many

accomplishments and the bar for success has been set high, helping me strive to achieve in

school. The success that I have seen my family achieve has shaped the ambitious mindset

that I live by today. As a result, I never give up and try my hardest to achieve any and all

challenges that approach me. My personality has been built around my powerful motivation

to succeed. This mindset enables me to triumph over any task set forth me, regardless of

significance, and employ all of my attributes to successfully rise to a certain challenge.

Many have had an individual that has inspired them; usually a parent or teacher. The person

that has most influenced my goals is my sister, Reem. She has had an astounding effect on my

upbringing, thoughts, and actions. I have adopted my sister’s personality, sense of humor, and sense of

understanding. She has taught me how to speak to people and how to be comfortable whilst speaking

to others. My sister has also taught me how to be respectful and how to handle different situations.

Therefore, every time I have a doubt on how to approach a situation, I think of how my sister would

act. Although I have learned a lot from my sister, she has also encouraged me to create my own way of

how to think and handle certain situation. Reem has taught me to never sell myself short; because of

her I give one hundred percent effort towards everything that I ever do in school or in my life. She has

helped me realize that potential is comprised not only of personal strengths, but also of knowing how to

capitalize on those strengths. Her life lessons have benefited me in countless ways and there is no other

person that could have impacted my goals as much as she has.

Abraham Lincoln once said, “A goal properly set is halfway reached.” I strongly

believe that in order to get what you want; you have to know what you want. At my

young age, I am fortunate to know that I was born to study and practice law.

remember, I have always been keen to detect unfairness and persistent about finding ways

to achieve justice. I have a natural inclination to try to find ways to help or support others,

especially when accused of acts they didn’t do. I have always been aware of the rules and

regulations around me and always try to abide by them to the best of my ability. Being aware of rules

is essential to understanding the expectations of behavior, so one can act accordingly. My upbringing

stressed being an overall good person and always helping those in need, and there is no better way to

do that than to defend an innocent person in court. I also have an interest in politics and would like

to develop a better understanding of the ins and outs of the government to enable to become more

knowledgeable lawyer and a better citizen. I understand that in order to achieve my goal I will have to

work hard and make many sacrifices but I know that in the end, it will be worth it.

Since I can