Same-sex marriage | Teen Ink

Same-sex marriage

Same-sex marriage is a major controversial topic, not just in the United States, but all around the world. Same-sex marriage should be legal all around the world. USA Today has an opinion piece stating that homosexual couples who have children should be able to marry and have the same legal rights as straight couples who have children. This piece also says that President George Bush supports a constitutional amendment that would ban same-sex marriage, but would allow every U. S. state decide whether or not to allow civil unions.

The many people who are against this law, and same-sex marriage in general, say that is goes against their religious beliefs. They believe that because the Bible says that marriage is between “man and woman,” that same-sex marriage is wrong. They also say that if God approved of same-sex marriage, then two men or two women could sexually have children together. Since this is impossible, they use this as evidence that God disagrees with same-sex marriage. Since this is impossible, they use this as evidence that God disagrees with same-sex marriage.
People who agree with same-sex marriage say that homosexuality isn’t a disease, just a preference. They say that if homosexuality is a disease, then so is heterosexuality. These people, who are correct, also believe that the government has no right to tell the citizens of the U. S. who they can and cannot love and marry. These people say that just because the Bible, to which there is no outstanding proof is correct, says what marriage technically is, that doesn’t mean that same-sex marriage is wrong.
Same-sex marriage should be legal everywhere. By not letting people marry who they want, the government is infringing on our rights as U. S. citizens. The government isn’t abiding to the First Amendment which “protects the right to freedom of religion and freedom of expression from government interference.” Being homosexual isn’t a disease, just a preference. Just like broccoli, some people like it and some people don’t.