Never Too Ordinary | Teen Ink

Never Too Ordinary

I’ve accumulated a plethora of answers to this essay. Each one became more cliché ridden and contrived as the one before. I keep writing and deleting, just hoping that inspiration will fall from the sky or slap me across the face. However, that just isn’t the case.

What sets me apart? What makes me an extraordinary candidate? Those questions don’t have any clear-cut answers. Sure, I am a good student and a nice enough person, but those things can all be seen through my transcripts. So, I sit here stumped with what to write about that makes me different – something that jumps off the page and screams that I am special.

I have not had any unbelievable experiences. I have not traveled the world. I do not speak any insanely difficult foreign languages. I do not spend my free time saving orphans from fiery bush crashes. I have not even ever helped an older person cross the street; I do not think the opportunity has even presented itself.

I am painstakingly ordinary. I grew up in middle class family in the suburbs. I have two brothers and my parents are still married – going on 32 years (I guess that’s remarkable). I have not had any family or personal tragedy that’s changed my life. I have never met anyone or experienced anything that really changed my outlook on the world.

My favorite musicians are Nirvana and Patti Smith. I love Harry Potter, and I have a deep obsession with Star Trek stemming from almost before I can remember. I think I was the only seven year-old who claimed her favorite actor was Leonard Nimoy. I love sports hockey, basketball, baseball, and football. I kind of enjoy watching golf on T.V. Nevertheless, none of these things are especially noteworthy.

I have not done anything remarkable. I played golf in high school – but we didn’t win anything. I sang and I enjoyed it – period. I learned things, sure, life lessons and all that jazz but I’m sure all the other applicants can say the same types of things with their thesaurus words.

What sets me apart? Nothing. Somehow, though, I think that’s okay. I think it is fine to be ordinary. I think it is fine to not yet discover what makes you an individual.

Honestly, most people do not know who they are when they are seventeen and I am no exception to that rule. I am still trying to find a feel for the world around me and find the person whom I want to become.

Isn’t that what college and secondary education is all about? It is not only about the education that will prepare you for the rest of your life but the experiences and mistakes you will make.

What sets me apart? Absolutely nothing. However, I want to find out and given an opportunity, I think in a few years I will have new experiences and ideas to give a better answer.

ConsultOryx said...
on Oct. 18 2011 at 11:51 am
First off, you are a great writer. So that is wonderful. And second, this is a cool idea in theory. But in practice, I am afraid of what reaction it will cause. I really do like your conclusion, but given that you are such a great writer, don't you think there is SOMETHING in your past that shows more of you as a person? A progression? An improvement? Have you ever had a moment in your life, where you said, wow this is a cool moment. I am glad I am here. Write about that.