Continuities & Changes Over Time Essay (Silk Road Interactions Between 200 B.C.E – 1450 C.E.)

During the period of time between 200 B.C.E. and 1450 C.E., the silk road underwent many subtle transformations while at the same time holding on to its original purpose. The trade of spices and goods to and from Asia and Europe remained constant, while the materials bartered slowly changed. The political boundaries as well as the national identities of the encompassing countries also were altered.
Despite changes in materials, the original purpose of the silk road remained intact throughout this time period. Asian commodities were traded with European merchants along the road and vice versa. Asia’s economy, such as that of China specifically, remained heavily reliant on the money from silk road trade, irregardless of the origin or type of goods that fueled such. Comparably, Europe’s economic status remained fueled by Asian trades.
While the basic purpose of the silk road remained mostly unchanged, the goods traded on it and the areas it went through did. While the silk road originally began on a small scale as a simple route of transport for Eurasian merchants, it later grew into an international necessity, not only economically, but culturally as well. Once exposed to Asian spices, fabrics, etc., Europeans became increasingly “addicted” to their newfound luxuries. This, in addition to Europe having the same effect on Asia, gradually shaped both cultures. Because of the numerous political changes that took place during this expanse of time, the route travelled by silk road merchants passed through new nations formed at the collapse of the Roman Empire. This, in turn, shaped the identities of additional nations/cultures along the path of the silk road.
Overall, the silk road’s basic purpose remained intact from 200 B.C.E. to 1450 C.E., but the specific patterns of interactions that occurred along it did not. Empires fell, new nations were formed, and that brought myriad changes to silk road cultures and the interactions between those that traveled on it.

Lookatthathat! said...
It is regardless, not irregardless.

JacksonDReynolds replied...
May 12, 2011 at 4:58 am :
Good sir, I am by no means "trying to sound smart" as you so lowly accused me doing. It is my opinion that you came to that conclusion due to the fact that you are yourself miserably cognitively vacuous in the arena of vocabulary :) On another note - my AP Test Essays recived perfect scores :) But thank you for your uninformed critisism anyway :)

kmae123 replied...
Oct. 6, 2011 at 9:05 pm :
Wait so irregardless isn't a word? F.Y.I the person who quoted your word 'irregardless,' spelled it wrong.  Or can it even be spelled wrong if it isn't a word...I am sooooo NOT looking forward to college.

JacksonDReynolds replied...
Oct. 9, 2011 at 4:13 pm :
Well, the person who decided to criticize the paper simply had to go for the technicalities if he or she wished to find fault. Such is obvious. Technically, that individual was correct: "irregardless" is not a dictonary-recognized word, but it is very frequently used in both conversation and writing. His or her error in rewriting the word is not "technically" acceptable, and I thank you for bringing such to his or her attention since they are so concerned with tiny errors such a great deal. My p... (more »)

kmae123 replied...
Oct. 9, 2011 at 7:35 pm :
Honestly, you are one of the most inspiring people I have ever met, yet I have never actually met you. I hope you live a long and successful life.

JacksonDReynolds replied...
Oct. 11, 2011 at 7:57 am :
Thank you very much :)! I am glad to have been an inspiration and academic resource to you.