Continuities & Changes Over Time Essay (Silk Road Interactions Between 200 B.C.E – 1450 C.E.)

During the period of time between 200 B.C.E. and 1450 C.E., the silk road underwent many subtle transformations while at the same time holding on to its original purpose. The trade of spices and goods to and from Asia and Europe remained constant, while the materials bartered slowly changed. The political boundaries as well as the national identities of the encompassing countries also were altered.
Despite changes in materials, the original purpose of the silk road remained intact throughout this time period. Asian commodities were traded with European merchants along the road and vice versa. Asia’s economy, such as that of China specifically, remained heavily reliant on the money from silk road trade, irregardless of the origin or type of goods that fueled such. Comparably, Europe’s economic status remained fueled by Asian trades.
While the basic purpose of the silk road remained mostly unchanged, the goods traded on it and the areas it went through did. While the silk road originally began on a small scale as a simple route of transport for Eurasian merchants, it later grew into an international necessity, not only economically, but culturally as well. Once exposed to Asian spices, fabrics, etc., Europeans became increasingly “addicted” to their newfound luxuries. This, in addition to Europe having the same effect on Asia, gradually shaped both cultures. Because of the numerous political changes that took place during this expanse of time, the route travelled by silk road merchants passed through new nations formed at the collapse of the Roman Empire. This, in turn, shaped the identities of additional nations/cultures along the path of the silk road.
Overall, the silk road’s basic purpose remained intact from 200 B.C.E. to 1450 C.E., but the specific patterns of interactions that occurred along it did not. Empires fell, new nations were formed, and that brought myriad changes to silk road cultures and the interactions between those that traveled on it.

RatGuy12345 said...
I don't think *irregardless* is a word

NikkiNDo said...
Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:04 am:
Although there are some excellent concepts, I don't see any evidence in this essay that "show" us how the Silk Roads continued/changed over time.

meekyscreeny2019 replied...
Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:17 pm :
I agree. This essay would not receive a very high score on the AP Exam. 1. There is only one continuity, while there should be two. 2. There are no REASONS for the changes and continuities. 3. No background information is given. 

K.Tryce96 said...
Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:54 am:

- OMG.. This was a miricale i found this 

- With me only being a 10th greader taking this AP course && me having to write an essay over this topic I found it VERY helpful

johnpaul3 replied...
Jan. 16 at 12:33 am :
i agree  

nerdindisguise said...
this helped sooo much! thank you (:

sunshine lady said...
Jan. 4, 2012 at 12:01 am:
i loved this it helped me out big time

Missmegsta said...
This helped me SOOOO much!!! thank gosh i found this. :)

Luluperville said...
Dec. 1, 2011 at 2:25 am:
Exactly what kind of political and economical structural changes were there?

in which box? said...

In all serious, no disrespect intended it does seem that you use "intelectual vocabulary" to strengthen your paper.  May i suggest that you instead smother the reader with sentence structure that truly brings out the importance of the silk roads.  Also, your conclusion didn't seem too related to the rest of the paper and leaves history lovers like myself unfulfilled.

No offence,

in which box?

KangHyunAh18 said...
Omg, I'm so glad I found this! I was totally pulling a blank on my COTT paper for AP World. This was really helpful with figuring out what I could talk about in my paper! ^^

KangHyunAh replied...
Nov. 13, 2011 at 5:45 pm :
Oops, CCOT*

mary said...
thank you that helped

JacksonDReynolds replied...
Nov. 1, 2011 at 9:48 pm :
My pleasure!

kmae123 said...
Thank you very much!!! I have to write an essay in AP World tomorrow about the CCOT interactions along the Silk Road from 600 C.E. to 1450 C.E. and this was very helpful.

JacksonDReynolds replied...
Oct. 9, 2011 at 4:13 pm :
My pleasure to have been of academic assistance. :)

LeooftheEast said...
Oh, thank the Zeus I found this. I don't bloody remember anything from World History I, so this helps out a lot.

JacksonDReynolds replied...
Aug. 25, 2011 at 6:28 pm :
I'm quite glad that you found it helpful. :)

PR0crastinated said...
dude this was a life saver! helped me alot with the facts & stuff...its alot easier to write one of these things when you have an example!

JacksonDReynolds replied...
Aug. 25, 2011 at 6:29 pm :
Feel free to quote directly if you wish; just give me credit for the wording. :)