Better Barbie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

I don’t have any alumni ties to Brown, though it’s possible I could be the long-lost granddaughter of James S. Miller. Never have I sailed the Pacific Ocean on the back of a humpback whale, nor can I wrap sushi with the skill of former Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto. I haven’t done much research regarding podiatry, and chances are I will never win the Michigan Mega-Millions lottery. I am, however, the proud owner of a Little Mermaid Edition Barbie.

At some point in almost every little girl’s life, she becomes engrossed in the Pepto-Bismol-pink world of Barbies, a place I entered at the age of seven. My sister, Hannah, and I decided to take our collection of 11-inch plastic friends for a dip in the pool one sweltering summer day. Hours of giggling resulted from tossing the Barbies as high as we could into the air and watching them dive gracefully into the waves. Three … two … one, I launched my Little Mermaid doll in the same fashion as Apollo 11. We watched her rocket into the sky. I glanced at my sister, who was scrambling through her scorecards to make sure she had the well-deserved “10” ready. My eyes returned upward, anticipating the gymnastic stunts Barbie would undoubtedly deliver to her enraptured audience. Where was she? The crowd was growing restless. Had she landed on the moon?

Utterly bewildered, we combed through the freshly mown grass and woods, but unfortunately, our search bore no fruit. After a moment of sorrow, our tiny attention spans directed us to a different game, and our minds fluttered away.

Over the years, I encountered many of my own quirky adventures. As a field biologist intern, I camped for 15 days on an uninhabited island, purified my own water, surveyed the endangered Piping Plover, tested the water quality of lakes, and found my way out of 70,000 acres of northern Michigan wilderness. My view of the world broadened through travels and encounters with the Costa Rican, German, French, and Australian cultures. I won varsity letters, had my poetry published, and volunteered at a local hospital, and as I grew older, the mystery of the once-beloved Little Mermaid Edition Barbie faded into a misty memory.

One recent fall day, rainbow-colored leaves swirled through the air and the chilly breeze carried its pleasant scent, an amalgamation of bonfire and pumpkin. Upon the rooftop was not good Saint Nick, but rather my dad, cleaning the leaves off our house. Tied to the branch of an ancient oak tree, the tire swing moved my body in a pendulum motion. My dad approached with something dark in his hands. “Eh … does this belong to you, or Hannah?” he said with a look of perplexity painted on his face. I couldn’t believe my eyes: It was the Little Mermaid Edition Barbie! The poor girl – she was an absolute disaster. I affirmed my ownership of the traveler, and took her battered body in my hands.

Nine years had passed since I had seen the almost-world-renowned Olympic diver. I recalled that summer day and smiled as memories flooded my mind. She looked as though she’d been struck by lightning a few times, weathered heavy monsoons, and held onto the gutter for dear life during tornados. Her mangled arm appeared to have been mistaken for a worm by a ferocious momma bird. Leaves, dirt, and other debris were entwined in her once shiny, cherry locks. Her attire was tattered – she seemed to have fashioned herself a Tarzan-esque ensemble. Her ingenuity was impressive; it reminded me of an experience in which I had to craft socks out of a garbage bag and medical tape, then wear them for three days in pouring rain. Nevertheless, one thing stood out as I ogled my long-lost friend: her face.

She wore a radiant smile, a look of contentment, self-confidence, and accomplishment. With head held high and a positive attitude, she had battled life’s unexpected challenges. She knows now what it means to strive and succeed. I realized the world of pink doesn’t fit someone with so much potential, so much passion for learning, so much heart, independence, and creativity. I looked at her and saw myself reflected in her sapphire eyes.

Like her, my dreams lie far beyond those of a Stepford wife, and with the ability to bend and not break, I am ready to step out of my plastic box society, through the Van Winkle gates, and into a world of endless possibilities. I crave the works of Thoreau and Emerson, not mall directories or grocery lists. I desire adventure and the opportunity to study new cultures. I long to write what I want and voice my opinions with my whole heart behind them. And as the Little Mermaid Edition Barbie sits on my shelf, next to musical and athletic trophies, behind silly pictures of friends, and alongside books by Maya Angelou and Lewis Carroll, she reminds me of myself. For this ambitious girl, pink is not enough; she is ready to dive into Brown.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the May 2008 Teen Ink Nonfiction Contest.

sapa17 said...
Jul. 29, 2011 at 5:47 pm:
wow, just speechless

pics-with-no-paintThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 11:52 am:
Wow thats amazing! Did you get into Brown?

rheath116 said...
Jun. 20, 2011 at 11:33 am:
honestly, this is wonderful. I am in the process of writing my college essay and I need inspiration.

hotchick101 said...
Apr. 7, 2011 at 8:44 am:
this is a really good essay!!! defiantly one of my favorites on da site! go you! and everything about chu!!!!! :D lylas

Mumof2 replied...
Sept. 26, 2011 at 10:20 am :

*cringes* 

D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y

bieberl0ve15 said...
Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:53 pm:
simply amazing. did you get into Brown?

Cammyd said...
This was incredibly well written. I loved the analogy and the evolving but still underlying theme. Fantastic! Congratulations! :)

fezzik1221 said...
did you get into Brown?

marinashutup This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is quite possibly the most well-written, imaginative, colorful, insert any positive adjective here, essay I have ever read. The way that you took something as trifling as a Little Mermaid Barbie and turned it into something beautiful and meaningful, it mind blowing. The use of color and words like "sapphire eyes" and "cherry colored locks" were simply wonderful, almost like candy. Your essay really does stand out and I also really loved the tie-in of pink and Brown at the end. It was a grea... (more »)

savannahL replied...
Nov. 8, 2010 at 6:25 pm :
I couldn't agree more. This is the best essay I have ever read.

emilysbreakfast said...
I swear you could sail into brown on this essay alone.  The way you tied your own life experiences into such a quirky story, was ridiculously clever.  The execution & voice were top notch.  Clearly, you'll do well wherever you go.

Brittany W. said...
Oct. 1, 2010 at 9:05 am:
I think this essay was incredible.  I loved the last paragraph, it really put the story together.  I love your storyline and your sense of word choice.  Great Job! :)

yellow-pages said...

This was great! I loved the ending sentence, it brought the whole story back around, closing it perfectly.

Anyway, with an essay as great as this I really hope that'll you'll get excepted.

Not that I really think you need any of my luck. (:

jessxlalala said...
This was amazing, I'm reading through a few essays to spark some ideas for my essays and I'm so happy I came across this one.  Outstanding job

SmritiBansal said...
Sept. 20, 2010 at 5:34 am:

I loved this essay.

I loved how you've said so much through a simple metaphor. 

asdfsd said...
Jul. 29, 2010 at 8:47 pm:
this essay did not seem to stand out to me, i dont know what the rest of you are thinking. there are some good points, but the metaphor of the barbie is too trite in my opinion

Rina-with-a-k replied...
Aug. 2, 2010 at 12:20 am :
Yes, it might be a little strange, but that's the point. It's a different view on things, while still having meaning to it and still showing accomplishments she's made. That's what makes it good.

inksplatters21 said...
Jul. 29, 2010 at 10:50 am:

awesome work, cool story.  would people mind reading/commenting on my work?  thank you--it's appreciated

DifferentTeen said...
Jul. 23, 2010 at 7:26 am:

I thought that was excellent.

I know that got you into Brown.

hollyhottell said...
Jul. 7, 2010 at 11:35 pm:
great job your a very talented writer...keep up your GREAT WORK..... i really liked this...