A New Home | Teen Ink

A New Home

December 21, 2009
By bcbudd SILVER, Attleboro, Massachusetts
bcbudd SILVER, Attleboro, Massachusetts
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is chasing around inside of me like a squirrel." Kolenkhov


Attleboro High School, my alma mater, is split into five buildings: A building, B building, C building, etc. Every student has their piece in the school. The jocks crowd the locker rooms and chat about last night’s big game against the school rival, Bishop Feehan. The artists gather in 116A every Thursday to create shocking masterpieces that make the administrators queasy. Throughout all my years in high school, I “lived“ in E Building. E Building consists of the music department where the chorus girls and the band kids congregate. Instruments are played here; voices sung. Right outside the doors of the classroom is the auditorium where I have spent many a night rehearsing for the school drama productions. It is here that I am truly myself. Here I can express myself through voice. Here I can play pretend with fellow thespians onstage. Here I can breathe. Now that I’m a senior graduating from my home away from home, I’m in search of a new abode.

Out of my twelve years of schooling, ten of those years have been spent practicing the performing arts in some form. This includes pirouetting down the halls of April, May, and June’s School of Dance, rehearsing on stage for an Attleboro High School Drama Club production, and perfecting each note for the upcoming chorus concert. These ten years have put me in a routine that I’m not willing to break.

I’ve been lucky enough to go to a high school with a great music and theatre program. I want to go to a college that provides the same opportunities. The Hartt School offers a Music Production and Technology major that I am positive will ensure a future for me in the music business. I’ve looked at other colleges that offer similar majors, but nothing compares to the Hartt School. This school has always been a dream of mine. I can only imagine the sound of the voices coming from the choir. I’d consider it an honor to be even considered qualified.

Perhaps in the fall of 2010, my new home away from home will be in West Hartford, Connecticut.