My Dream | Teen Ink

My Dream

By RRparis BRONZE, Sacramento, California
RRparis BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"Just because you put a guy in a tuxedo doesn't make him a good guy".

-Allen Iverson

They have laughed at my dream to become a professional basketball player since I was 7—my cousins, friends, father, and teachers. Nobody believed me. It took my passion, pain, and struggle to keep me going. When it was time to attend high school, I wanted to attend Christian Brothers. They had all the gear, and I knew the coach, but I needed the money to go there, and on my mom's side, we were broke, so I needed to ask around. I thought maybe my father would help. We are not talking, but he's a hustler. I know he has money. I had to call six times for a pickup, and when he did pick up, it was silent; after a short conversation, I asked him, and he told me, “Even if I won the lottery, I still wouldn't get you in that school.” Instead of feeling bad, I felt motivated and continued my dream.

Basketball is important to me because it’s in my bloodline. It started with my great grandma; she played basketball and was one of the best players in Oakland, and my cousin Tajai Johnson was a 4-star recruit coming out of school. I was around Tajai and Kings player Jordan Ford growing up. I saw the things they did, I saw their mistakes, and I took some of their craft and put it into my game. I met an important person in basketball named Joe Keller, a man who worked with Trae Young, Aaron Gordon, and Zion Williamson. We sat and ate. I asked him what those guys did to become professional basketball players. He told me, “You have to become a madman when it comes to work ethic and dedication to perfecting your craft.” 

Basketball is a beautiful sport, and it allows you to make mistakes. I love the joy it brings everyone; without basketball, I would've been entirely different. I would've been who I saw in the streets, but basketball changed my life. That's why I am thankful for and admire the game. I have spent thousands of hours working on my craft playing for team Sacramento and playing some of the best talent I know I can hang with and being coached by Lindsey Farrell and Darell Gordon; I know on the next level, you have to be mentally tough.

I want to be able to travel the world and get to play the game I love and inspire others to play the game I love so much. I want to inspire kids from Oakland; it's like a crab bucket there; it's hard when you don't have the right circle. To show kids and my family you can be great at something through hard work and dedication and full passion and love for something. 

This is why basketball is important to me. Almost every day, someone tells me I should do something different, but they don't understand that this chip on my shoulder is heavier than I think. I want to prove myself right.

I wrote this to show colleges and readers my passion and some of early struggles chasing my dream.