Should College Athletes Be Paid? | Teen Ink

Should College Athletes Be Paid?

Paying college athletes has been a very controversial topic, paying the college athletes is hotly contested because some people think that a lot of colleges can’t afford this.  However others argue that the colleges make a lot of money off of the games.  In this writing you will read that paying college athletes is a good idea. The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) doesn’t agree that they should pay the athletes.

One reason that this is a good idea is the team is the one who makes the colleges money.  One way that they do that is because the colleges make money off of jerseys, video games, autographs, and other spiritwear.  On the article A Way to Start Paying College Athletes the author wrote, “Some coaches are making millions of dollars a year while players make none.”  That means that the coaches are making a lot of money when they don’t have jerseys of their names.  Some may argue that the coaches make the team better.  While that might be true still, all in all the players are the ones who are playing, not the coaches.

Another reason to pay college athletes is that the athletes bring in a lot of fame to the school.  One way they do that is by making the team better.  Without the sports teams a lot of colleges wouldn’t be nearly as popular.  In the article Should NCAA Athletes Be Paid the author stated, “The colleges both pay for their educations and they increase the chances of them getting drafted in the NBA.”  Some might argue that is true, but even if they do I can go back to the other reason that the athletes make the schools popular.  In the article Should NCAA Athletes Be Paid it was stated, “In the Final Four the NCAA charges $700,000 for a 30 second ad.”  That is a lot of money for one game.  The NCAA makes millions of dollars for one game.  Imagine how much they make in all of the Final Four games, let alone the whole season.  The colleges should be generous enough to share the money with the players.

In conclusion, college athletes should be paid.  Many people disagree because that will cost a lot of money.  That may be true, but if the athletes weren’t there the colleges wouldn’t make any money from sports.  Overall, the good side of paying college athletes outweighs the bad side.

Should college athletes be paid?