New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Viva Espana

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Dear Reader

Dear Reader,
Putting yourself out there, whether trying out for a school play or pushing yourself to run an extra mile during a cross country practice, is the best way to discover a bit about your character. For most of my adolescence the adults around me had always stressed the importance of self-challenge. Now as a sixteen year old junior in high school I wanted to find a new way to step out of my comfort zone.
Before, it was merely a distant country where the people dressed in red,
I think of this as more of an epilogue. Also I have change the name of my school
had tan skin and spoke every word as if it was a lyric to a song. Since the age of thirteen, when I was completely able to understand the beauty of the rest of the world, I always dreamed of traveling to Spain.
I came to Clark Academy for my sophomore year of high school. As I discovered Clark’s overseas programs I realized that through its Spain offering, I had found the untraditional way I was searching for to challenge myself. Immediately, I applied for the Winter 2011 Spain group. By late march of last year I had learned that I would be one of the nine other Clark students living in Segovia Spain for two months. Extremely thrilled, I continued my normal life in the United States, yearning for a taste of Spanish excitement. Through my summer, in which I took classes at a local college and the my kick-off of my junior year, the intrigue of Spain hung in front of me like the desire for desert hangs over a child struggling through his string beans. I couldn’t help but want my wait to be over already.
The destination was Segovia. A small, traditional Spanish city, just an hour outside of Madrid in the Castilla y Leon region. In anticipation of Spain I searched for pictures of the city, read reviews of Segovia’s weather during the winter and stayed vigilant during my Spanish Three classes. I hoped that this research would be sufficient enough to prepare me for my upcoming Spanish adventure.
The fall term of my junior year had ended giving me a six week break of anticipation. At home with my parents, I soon felt suffocated. I desired nothing more than to escape my ordinary life in the states for a dip into the culturally rich land of Spain. As the new year arrived the time until I boarded my flight at Logan Airport Boston dwindled down. On January sixth I was off. Leaving my secure life in the United States was a daunting challenge however, I was ready for it.

Researching Spain cannot compare to living the Spanish lifestyle. A challenge for the better, through my eight weeks in Spain I discovered the ticks of Spanish culture. A journey of learning and discovery- through history, culture, language, and music I found myself on an unpredictable journey through Spain. During those two months I overcame many challenges which led me to innumerable self realizations. A priceless experience, the trip surpassed my expectations. And so dear reader, I have decided to share my stories with you in hope that you find useful information on navigating life in Spain. These lessons I share have all come through the various experiences I have had in Spain. Finally, I hope you love my stories. I worked extremely hard to make the writings interesting for you, so enjoy!