"One By One"

Author's note:

Never give hope and realize how important family is.

Author's note:

« Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 Next »

Disappearing Friends

An orphanage was no place for a girl like me. I was dropped off here when I was just a baby, and have been here ever since. I have watched my friends come and go, but not once has there been someone downstairs waiting for someone like me. Despite this, my hopes just kept rising and falling, just like the waves of a sea, every time I heard the doorbell of the orphanage ring. Susie, a little girl a year younger than me, was anxiously waiting for her new parents to arrive. She sat on her suitcase in front of the door, swinging her legs side to side, and even at age six she knew that this was her only way out of there. We sat there in silence watching my last friend disappear before my eyes. Before I knew it, the doorbell rang. I saw the smile spread across her face as she leaped to open the door. She vanished through the door and I turned to walk away, my shoulders slumped, and tears rolling down my face damping my dark brown hair. All of a sudden, I felt hands around me, as she embraced me for the last time. She wished me luck with finding a home, and dashed out the door once more. I ran to the window and waved her farewell.
The night came fast, and with that a storm. A bad storm too, for all the kids were being rushed into the basement. All except me however, I took this chance to run away and bring more hope to my lost cause of finding a family. I let myself drop down from the window sill and landed softly on the ground below. I carefully resealed the window, so no one would suspect anything. I then ran off into the storm. The wind wrapped and swirled around me, as I ran through the street with the rain whipping at my face.

Chapters:   1 2 Next »