Arrival | Teen Ink

Arrival

By Ian00000, China, Maine
Ian00000, China, Maine

Author's note:

Story

ARRIVAL
That day was a normal day, or so I thought… It was a very warm day and there was a slight breeze outside. All the windows were open in my house to let in the warm air. I was sitting on the hardwood floor of my living room  and playing video games with my online friends. Nothing much was happening that day. Until… they arrived.
“E-WARD DO STUFF WITH US,” I was pleasantly greeted. I was standing at the front door of my house and my friends stood outside. Alec was in front and behind him were Josh, Shawn, Curtis, and Nathan.
“We’re bored so can we be here?” Alec asked. At first, I hesitated. I was uncertain if I wanted them to be at my house, because they would most surely destroy everything.
“Uh sure?” I responded.
“THANXXXX,” Alec said with emphasis on the four X’s.
“Uh what do you want to do?” I said as I felt a little bit of trepidation.
“Can I have a ball?” Alec asked. He fidgeted around like he normally did;Moving foot to foot. For some reason he had slipped on his home made, 3D printed Oakley glasses. He looked like a drunk stork who had fallen from the sky.
“What kind of ball?”
“Baseball,” he grinned.
At this I knew that they were going to destroy something. There would be at least a broken window or a dented car.
“Um I don’t know if I want you here…” I hadn’t left the doorway yet.
All my friends started protesting and saying stuff like, “Come on Ian please?” and “Ian if you don’t do stuff with us I will stab you in your sleep”. I couldn’t fight it. So I asked my mom if it was okay for them to derp around at our house. Upon return I noticed they still stood there like a pack of seagulls on the porch. I saw their eager faces and I decided I would let them do what they want. “You guys can stay… But try not to break anything” I ran to the garage and grabbed their desired balls. I returned with a softball, 5 base balls, 3 whiffle balls, and a plastic toy ball. I dumped the gear in front of the garage and I saw Alec already had a ‘bat’. It was a rake. Everybody grabbed what they could. Josh grabbed a pool noodle, Shawn grabbed a walking stick and the rest of us just waited for the marvel to unfold. Alec threw the baseball in the air as he screamed his gull-like war cry. He slammed the rake on the baseball and it flew across the yard. Alec was left holding half a rake which he gazed at for a couple of seconds then burst out laughing. Everybody else eventually joined in.
Josh put down the noodle and grabbed my old nerf gun. It was the big red centurion one which was the only nerf gun that actually stung. He started looking for bullets while Curtis ripped the gun out of his hands and loaded the magazine he had found. Immediately he shot at everybody. Josh grabbed a foam blocker thingummy and started hitting him with it. Meanwhile, Alec had slid the pool noodle over the broken rake rod. It was a fearsome weapon. It’s long handle and formidable  blade was no match for anybody. He mounted my little brothers bike and sat atop of it charging at everyone with his pike.
About ten minutes into the carnage we had all cooled down and were sitting around. Alec noticed the basketball hoop sitting outside. “Hey guys you wanna play bursketburl?” A mumbled chorus of “sures” and “yeahs” followed. So we headed out.  What we didn’t know was it had no water in the base of the hoop so it wouldn’t stand on its own. Nathan volunteered himself (his logic was he was the largest) to sit on the base so we could  “Play”. Let’s just say… It wasn’t really a game. Just more madness. Alec had grabbed a basketball and was riding around on my brother’s bike, having to stand the whole time because his knees would hit the handlebars. He threw the basketball and promptly crashed into Curtis who tumbled over. Curtis was mad (to say the least). He picked up a nearby tricycle and flung it at Alec. It hit the bicycle and Alec flew off it and landed in a heap. At this point he was laughing so hard that he couldn’t get up.
I don’t really remember how the basketball hoop came crashing, down but it did, almost striking Shawn and Alec. It slammed down right on the tar. Some of us were startled and it surprised Nathan, especially, who was still sitting on top of it. Everyone shrugged it off and took advantage of the newly placed hoop. The hoop was laying against the ground barely propping the whole thing off the ground. It was kind of like a little tunnel. By now Shawn had rummaged through the shed and had found a frisbee. Now it was a challenge of who could get the frisbee into the hoop. This went on for a while.
Eventually, we meandered back to the front yard. At this point I realized that our water balloon slingshot was sitting next to the hose. I looked for the container of water balloons and found them easily. By the time I got back it was chaos. Shawn was stuck in a bush, Ricky was under the car, and Alec was wielding the hose; spraying everybody, while laughing maniacally. Taking advantage of this carnage I quickly sprinted to the spout on the other side of the house. I quickly screwed on the tap and filled the balloon full of water. By the time I sprinted back everyone had recovered and was laughing. I still took Alec by surprise when I nailed him with the balloon.
I showed them the water balloon slingshot and we went to work. Talking amongst ourselves we filled 20 balloons. We loaded a balloon in. Two people had to hold each side of the slingshot while a third pulled it back and fired. We picked our targets. First we nailed a car driving by. Then we aimed at a few trees. After that we just tried to hit the cars and each other. While this was going on Alec had snuck off to the back of the house. He was carrying a drawer he had ripped out of a bureau thingummy that was sitting in our garage. He turned the water on and filled the drawer completely full of water. Alec walked all the way back. He scanned the clueless group of people he tried to decide who to splash the water on. Shawn… He ran over and threw the whole shelf at him. Flying threw the air, in what seemed like slow motion, the drawer and the water flew at separate times. First the water enveloped Shawn’s face and then in quick succession the drawer nailed him in the ribs. Shawn keeled over with a spew of expletives. Nathan let go of his half of the slingshot which shot back and struck Ricky’s hands and he yelped in pain. Shawn stood up and glared at Alec, who was on the ground- in tears from laughter. Most everyone else was laughing too. Except Shawn. Shawn squatted slowly and grabbed the drawer, eyes on Alec. Everyone stopped laughing except Alec. Alec was rolling on the ground and laughing hysterically. Shawn whipped the drawer at Alec. It flew past him and bounced off the ground. This attempt had only made Alec laugh harder. Still laughing, he rose up- he knew what might come next. In complete silence Shawn charged at Alec. Alec barely even attempted to run away from the raging bull. Alec skip-frolic-gallop-dance-ran away from Shawn, which made Shawn even angrier.
“Whoa, Whoa, Whoa Shawn calm down. He was just joking around,” I said, not wanting the situation to turn into a fight. Shawn ignored me and charged at Alec. Alec emitted a high pitched squeal in mock fright and dashed away. Shawn pushed himself to the max and full on charged at his enemy.
At this, Alec had to actually run. They dashed through my parents cars and ran through the garden, plowing plants away. Alec jumped from the garden onto another part of our driveway. Mid-air, he decided to attempt a 360. Attempt it he did. “OOhhhhhhh…” he groaned and lay on the tar for a second until he took notice of the rampaging Shawn. Alec dashed through our side yard and into the woods. He looped around a trail and came running back with Shawn still in tow. Alec kept running… Straight into the road. There he stopped, for he did not want to jump into the mucky water in the ditch on the other side. Here was where Shawn attacked. Shawn tried to punch, but Alec just barely moved causing Shawn to flail around and lose his balance. Shawn backed up and jumped at Alec who easily dodged sending Shawn into the ditch.   We didn’t want to laugh. But Alec was laughing like a maniac and the others thought it was funny too. We were laughing uproariously until Shawn crawled out of the ditch. The water that caused Shawn to freak out was a trifling matter now. He was covered in dirt and mud from head to toe. His glasses were clutched in his hand and he was trying to clean them off.
As Shawn slowly walked across the road Ricker’s mom drove in. Shawn moved to the side as the vehicle pulled in and Ricker jumped out. Ricker had his usual sweatshirt on and stood in his hunched posture.
“Well… I missed all the fun. What the heck did you guys do?”
Nearly everyone looked around and surveyed the destruction they had created. Shawn was covered in mud, there was a pool noodle-rake hybrid weapon, many broken whiffle balls, a broken drawer, a wrecked basketball hoop, a snapped frisbee, many balloon shells, and a tricycle wedged under my father's car. A few of us shrugged and  Josh mumbled something. Alec swaggered in and stumbled for a few steps. Right before he fell over he yelled “FUN!!!” and fell over in front of Ricker.

Josh walked over and picked up the water balloon launcher. Ricky dashed over and grabbed the other side, while Alec picked up a balloon. Alec shoved the balloon in the cloth and pulled it back as far as he could. He was about ten feet away from the launcher and lay flat on the groundpulling as much as he could. He released. Alec had pulled it to the point where the cloth where you put the balloon was so tight it had encased the balloon so it couldn’t get out. When Alec released the balloon pouch shot forward into the air. With the balloon still inside of it the balloon pouch shot back and socked Alec in the mouth- Once! Twice! On the third hit it exploded and the water burst out onto Alec. Everyone who had witnessed the spectacle were nearly in tears from laughing. Alec, who was just slightly butthurt picked up the launcher and said “You try it”. So Curtis did. He loaded a balloon into the pouch while Ricky and Alec held opposite ends. As they were about to release, my Dad started to pull in on his motorcycle. The balloon was aimed right where he was going to drive! I knew we were going to be dead if it hit him. Everything in the next few seconds seemed to be in slowmotion. I lept towards the water balloon, Curtis aimed, I flew in the path of the water balloon, and Curtis started to release. To my surprise the launchers rubber-stretchy part snapped. One end of the launched snapped back and struck Ricky’s hand. Then I fell to the ground and the balloon slowly tumbled out of the launcher. Ricky yelped and grabbed his hand. A few seconds later he turned around and showed us the cut on his hand.
A little bit of madness ensued later on. Alec went to find his Oakley’s and his hat in the road, Ricky stopped the bleeding, Alec destroyed more stuff, Josh looked at my custom-made controller, and we mostly just chatted. Me and my dad stood off to the side and watched them.
“They sure are insane,” my dad finally spoke.
“Well, they are a lot of fun,” I chastened.
“Yeah I guess. But look at all the carnage they can ensue.” He spread his hands for more effect.
“A lot,” I admitted. “But it is worth the pain.”
Alec moved towards us and yelled something at Ricky. He hustled over and said “Uh we should probably leave… maybe… yeah.” I nodded and said kind of disappointed “Okay…”
“Yah know,” Alec said “Before we break more stuff”
“Huh, I don’t think that will happen.” I spoke sarcastically.
  I was almost disappointed because I had to pick up this wreckage but Ricky saved the day. He peeped in and said “But before we go we need to pick up all this stuff. We did. Everyone scrambled around and put the stuff in respectable, and not respectable, spots. Eventually they had to go.
Everyone said their goodbyes and they walked out. They were all sleeping over at Nathan’s house which was two houses over. As they walked down the road Ricky turned around and yelled “Bye, sorry for all the broken stuff!” I just responded with-
   “It’s fine!!!”