Do You Believe in Ghosts? A True Story?

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next »

CHAPTER 2 - AND IT BEGINS

So, the first week had ended and the second week of this job came. The snow had been falling all morning. It was such a dull, gray day. You have that feeling in the morning that you don’t want to go and work. The day is dull and gray, and you just want to sleep and have coffee. The bad thing in this job was that their were no lights in the den. Since my mom had to paint that day, she had to strain her eyes to see. After painting that particular room, she went to the kitchen and rinsed her paint brush out. As she was doing that, someone said something so fast. She turned around and their was nobody in the kitchen with her. She was the only one in the house. My dad was doing an estimate for some lady, my sister Jennifer was at school, and I was being baby sat by my mom’s mom. My mom got so scared that she started shaking. She must had stood their for several minutes. Finally she calmed down and she thought that it was all in her head. She didn’t get that much done that day. My mom collected her things and went home.

The next day, I came to work with my mom. I was only four. She set me down and put on channel twelve. I watched Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood. I loved that show when I was little. I also brought small toys to play with when a commercial came on. At the end of the day my mom walked from the living room to the kitchen and tripped on a small plastic dog I had. It was brown, about three inches tall and stood on its hind legs with its paws up. I played with it all the time. My mom told me to pick it up and then she went into the kitchen and finished cleaning up. When my mom came back into the living room, less than a minute later, I was frantically searching for the dog. We never saw it again. It simply vanished. Who could’ve taken it? You have to remember that it was an empty house. There weren’t a lot of places it could have gone. My mom checked coat pockets, under the TV, and in other rooms. The toy was no longer with us. I was so upset.

As the week came to a close, my mom began to notice a strange sensation. At first it was like the sound of thunder in the distance; the kind you hear on a hot summer day. The kind that rumbles a lot, but a storm never develops. Then the sound became deeper and it wasn’t coming from outside…not in December! This sound was coming from inside and was getting louder, deeper and more and more frequent. So, she thought maybe it was the heater. However, the heater is in the basement and she doesn’t go in the basement anymore. She didn’t even know what to look for if it was the heater. So, she decided to turn the heat back. My mom thought that since the house was empty for so long, the heater was working hard and might need servicing.

This book has 22 comments. Post your own now!

MissyMiss said...
Awesome!! Really scary! I'll be looking over my shoulder the next time I paint the walls, you betcha!

Josie L. replied...
I'm scared like you too.

Tazzbow said...
Gwen story is very good and exciting. She grabs your attention, wanting you to read more.