New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Change For The Better

By , Newark, DE
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

The News

“There is no way you will make it through boot camp let alone an oversea tour. You are just way too small and you don’t have enough muscle. Your medical conditions are so overwhelmingly severe that there is no possible way you’ll get approved. They won’t take you, I won’t let them.”
These are just a few of the objections my Mother came up with when my brother surprisingly came home one day with some life changing news. He had enlisted into The Marines and in turn had signed over 4 years of his life to them. Josh was the type of person that did things on a whim and didn’t really think about the repercussions, until it was too late.
He had tried college and it just wasn’t his cup of tea. The next logical option in his mind was to join the military. We all thought this was a shocking choice for the fact that Joshua was such an egotistical human being, which he will still attest to this very day. When completing any task his main focus was on how it would benefit him. Coming from the boy that would spend hours in front of the mirror telling himself how ridiculously good looking he was, we couldn’t help but think this was some kind of joke.
I don’t think it truly hit us until the day until he hopped on the bus to Paris Island. Through all of my Mom’s attempts to persuade him other ways, he ignored her objections and persisted. It must have helped that my dad was the extreme alter ego of Mom; supporting whatever Josh’s decision would be. Dad, being a fellow military man, respected Josh’s aspirations to help his country and thought it was exactly what Josh needed to get his head on straight. Little did Dad know that Josh was in for a lot more then just a clear head.