New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Life of a 14 Year Old

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Camp Pendleton

Now the day when I stepped on the drill pad at Camp Pendleton is the day my life went from relax a little and start acting like a marine. Now a good looking marine they say is someone with little to no hair, clean shave, nails cut, and your uniform as clean as a new shirt out of the washer. But when I got onto my formation with about 100 other’s like me or worst I was thinking it’s as easy well that thought soon skipped my mind after that first hair cut they give you. It was a line that was so long it tokes about an hour just to get my hair cut. It was watching one kid walk in the 1 min later you see him walk outside with little to no hair on him. Now the funny part was when it hit my turn I didn’t have that long of hair but one kid had a lot of hair. It looked like it can be 5feet long. But once you hear that cuter start all that hair goes by. As each person got their hair cut a person with a video camera would record it happening and man that made one kid freak out. He started yelling and screaming that you could hear it like half a mile away, I thought to myself.
“O great and he’s in my formation”.
I was wrong about judging him too soon because the next day he helped me out on something I had trouble with and I was glad he was there and we became friends after that day.
The next morning we got up at five am to start our morning PT (physical training) workout. You never knew you can start sweating and feel tried so fast then doing PT early in the day. Soon after it was time for breakfast and you can choose between, cereal, egg’s and bread, and pancakes. I got me 5 pancakes and o boy just the smell alone makes you die and go to heaven, and once you pour the syrup and watch it drizzle onto each layer of the stack. And the steam flows up to your noise and each breath it was like you where in heaven. And within just a few seconds as you sit down the smell from all the food fills the building and everyone is having fun and enjoying their nice breakfast. But that all ended when Gunny SGT walked in and gave us orders to pick our bags because we are going on a 20 mile walk. Now there’s 300+ pups as we were called all get up at once and run to our bed’s and start packing a bag that weighed about 55lbs after it was full. One kid you can tell couldn’t carry his so I helped him lighten his load so my weighed about 85lbs, which for me isn’t bad.
So as we walked on this forest covered road in formation all you hear is “left” “left” “left right left” and all our feet hitting the ground at once. It was like drums going off and some people started to sing and make up things as this was going on and soon everyone of us pup’s were singing a made up song and it was awesome, and after we hit the 10 mile mark almost about 1/4th of us couldn’t walk no more but you can tell the ones who didn’t show pain were fit. Now in my formation we only lost 5 pups and the rest where ok so we keap on going. But we left one person with anyone who fell behind so they make sure they are ok and get treatment. Now that day a lot of us had to go to the bathroom a lot of times from drinking a lot of water which in everyone’s mind is a good sign of a healthy body.